Scientific explanations for everything in Panau

Just Cause 2 Mods Forums Fun and Jokes Scientific explanations for everything in Panau

This topic contains 29 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  CoconutFred 5 years ago.

• Author

CoconutFred

So as you all know, many wild and wonderful things happen in the amgical fantasyland of Panau that would potentially break the time-space continuum in real life. Generally, everything that happens in the land of Panau has been inexplicable and unexplainable… until now. Through 150+ hours of playing Just Cause 2, and through meticulous scientific research, I’ve concocted an explanation for every possible impossibility that might occur in Panau.

Scenario 1: Your plane explodes instantly on the slightest contact with non-gaseous matter.

Explanation: Planes are very fragile devices. In this case, the manufacturer for Panau’s planes was based in China (obviously, since so much in Panau seems to come from China), and the plane is made not out of a composite of materials, as most planes are, but rather the manufacturer made the planes out of a homogeneous monoblock of material. In layman’s terms, all planes are made 100% out of the same shit.

Due to this monomateriality, the planes thus also have high volatility, since the material that they are made of has a low resonant frequency. What is a resonant frequency? The simple explanation is that a material which ahs a certain resonant frequency will disintegrate when it comes into contact with sound waves that have that same frequency. You know, like bad singers breaking glass.

Due to this low and easily reachable resonant frequency, when a Panuan plane comes into contact with a liquid or solid matter, it immediately disintegrates, since the vibrations generated by contact give off the plane’s resonant frequency.

Scenario 2: You are able to survive a fall from any height due to your lifesaving grappling hook.

Explanation: This would never work in real life, right? The grappling hook would actually pull you faster toward the ground, causing an even more horrible death, right?

Though it may seem like elementary physics may invalidate the possibility of such a thing happening (damn Isaac Newton!), such an occurence may be possible, given a few conditions. Rico fulfills all of these conditions. Rico’s grappling hook is actually of such an advanced design that it can sense when he is falling, and will switch its grapple speed to a supersonic velocity. Therefore, when Rico shoots out his grappling hook to save himself, he is actually attaining supersonic velocity, breaking the sound barrier, and causing a vibrating air wave to form around him, cushioning him from an impact at almost any speed. This phenomenon is known as a “sonic boom”. Usually, it also causes an extremely loud noise and violently shakes the supersonic object as well, but in this case Rico is too small to be disturbed by the boom.

See image:

SONIC_BOOM_JET.jpg

More will come!

MrRatermat

Explain how Rico has infinite parachutes, and how his Grapple Hook doesn’t tear his arm off with the force of holding himself up on high buildings.

Also, I thought his Grapple Hook had a dampener in it.

CoconutFred

MrRatermat wrote:

Quote:
    how his Grapple Hook doesn’t tear his arm off with the force of holding himself up on high buildings.

A quick Google search reveals this information on the force required to tear off a human limb, given that that force is linear and pulling directly on the limb.

Taken from StraightDope and Ask.com:

The famous case of Robert-François Damiens shows that it is not an easy task at all. He tried to kill Louis XV in 1757 and was sentenced to – among many other forms of torture – be torn limb from limb by horses:

From wikipedia:

“[..] Horses were then harnessed to his arms and legs for his dismemberment. Damiens’ limbs and ligaments did not separate easily; after some hours, representatives of the Parlement ordered the executioner and his aides to cut Damiens’ joints. Damiens was then dismembered, to the applause of the crowd […] “

From the above, we know this:

i) two horses opposed can tear off at least a limb (four attached to each limb is a system composed of two sets of forces, normal to each other and thus independent to a first approximation)

ii) horses have a maximum impulse of just under 15 hp for a short while.

Thus:

The power to tear off a limb is less than the peak power provided by 2 horses (15 hp)

This is about 22 000 J/s, or, if they do that in 1 second, 22 000 J.

Applied over a short distance, say 10 cm, that gives up a force of (F=E/d) about 200 kN.

So 200 kN is more than enough to get the job done.

Now, a sanity check:
    The yeild strength of muscle (the closes approximation I can find with a quick google) is about 1-4 MPa or MN/m2.

Assuming an average arm has a diameter of 10 cm, for a cross-sectional area of about 80 cm2.

The the yield force for an “arm” made of muscle (not stronger tendons and ligaments) would be something like 7-30 kN.

So, lets put the force at somewhere between 30 to 200 kN. A wide range, I know, but close enough for government work (as the Royal Executioner of France will attest).

(end of quote)

Using simple physics (I may be wrong here, correct me if so, haven’t done anything related to physics in years), we can work out the minimum force required to hold up Rico. Since Rico is relatively bulky, let’s say he weighs ~100kg.

According to WolframAlpha, it takes a minimum of 0.9807 kN to pull up something weighing 100 kg.

Using a conservative estimate, I am going to guess that Rico’s grapple pulls him at maybe 5 times that force, so 4.9035 kN. That’s about 25 kN away from the direct, linear force required to tear a limb off.

This is all assuming that Rico’s grapple is attached only on his arm, though. It may be possible that he has an entire harness system that pulls his entire body, which would probably be much safer and more likely, considering how easy his grapple could come off if it was only attached at his arm.

I think we can safely say then that Rico’s grapple does its job without hurting Rico THAT much.

Quote:
    Also, I thought his Grapple Hook had a dampener in it.

Also quite possible, but imo that isn’t quite enough to stop a catastrophic collision between the ground and 100 kgs of sexy manbeast falling out of the sky at 120mph.

Quote:
    Explain how Rico has infinite parachutes

Will have to think about this one.

mandella644

Explain now Rico never sleeps.

voxbox13
    voxbox13
    Participant

mandella644 wrote:

Quote:
    Explain now Rico never sleeps.

He sleeps in “The choppa” any time he’s being extracted to a new location.

“The choppa” is also equipped with:
    > A shower
    > A bathroom
    > An all-you-can-eat buffet

mandella644

Interesting. I always thought the ‘wiya ting’ had some sort of storage mechanism in which Rico loaded dozens of enchiladas, tortillas, and enough coffee to stay awake for a year.

CoconutFred

Or he could always be sleeping, his entire romp in Panau could be some sort of insane-ass sleepwalking bout.

Either that or the Agency has come up with a way to indefinitely supply him with enough epinephrine, dopamine, and HGH to stay awake and living for a decade. My guess is that there’s some kind of mechanism underneath the crotch of his pants that both protects his private parts and also continually supplies his thighs through an IV with hormones, and that these hormones are drawn from the blood of those who he kills.

voxbox13
    voxbox13
    Participant

I have to concede – mandella644 and CoconutFred have presented
    much more scientifically based, believable explanations than mine.

;)

Explain why there are two distinctly different areas with a very diverse weather condition (Berawan Besar mountains and Lautan Lama Desert)

voxbox13
    voxbox13
    Participant

This juxtaposition might explain part of it…

Badwater Basin, located in Death Valley, is the point of the lowest elevation in North America at 282 feet (86 m) below sea level. This point is only 84.6 miles (136.2 km) east-southeast of Mount Whitney, the highest point in the contiguous United States with an elevation of 14,505 feet (4,421 m).[3]
    Death Valley holds the record for the highest reliably reported temperature in the world, 134 °F (56.7 °C)
    The record lowest temperature recorded on Mt Whitney is -13 °F (-25 °C)

Sources
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_lowest_recorded_temperature_in_Mount_Whitney
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Valley
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mt_Whitney

CoconutFred
    ChristoExecutor wrote:
    Explain why there are two distinctly different areas with a very diverse weather condition (Berawan Besar mountains and Lautan Lama Desert)

You know that EMP tower in the Lost Island? It’s constantly shooting out bolts of electricity with the power of multiple lightning storms, ionizing the air around it. The very atmosphere around that island rises in temperature a little each and every time the EMP is activated; this heated air expands and moves up, thus creating a little updraft around the northwestern part of Panau. As we all know, thunderstorms and storms in general form when a part of the atmosphere becomes hotter than other parts of it (becoming unstable). This is why the Lost Island always has stormy weather.

According to the University of Illinois:

Quote:
    All thunderstorms require instability (potential) and lift. The lift is the mechanism that releases the instability. Lift is produced by such things as fronts and low pressure troughs, or by air rising upslope.

The Lost Island demonstrates this here:

Quote:
    We say that the atmosphere is unstable when air rising in a cloud is warmer than its environment, like a hot-air balloon. It is the heat released by condensation within a cloud that permits the rising air to stay warmer than its surroundings, and thus to be buoyant through great depths.

So why is the Lost Island’s storm and EMP important or relevant to the diversity of Panauan climates? Well, let’s take a look at air currents to explain why this is important to Panauan weather:

globalcurrents.gif

If we assume that Panau, being in Southeast Asia, lies somewhere near the Philippines, then we can safely assume that it is also somewhere near North and South Equatorial Currents. If you look closely at the image above, you will see that the currents around that area bring air both East and West in close proximity of each other.

Now, if the Lost Island creates a hot updraft of air while Panau lies in an area of conflicting air current directions, then we could say that Panau lies in the middle of a conflicting area of currents, for instance in the “bend” where the Pacific North Equatorial Current turns from eastbound to westbound. Let’s take a closer look at this area:

Fig.1.jpg

Now if Panau is in this area (let’s say it is in the area labeled “ME”), then it is clear that it will experience some weird weather. Apparently the Lost Island is situated on the northwest corner of the area labeled “ME”. The currents in this area bring the heated air from the Lost Island down and around the Lautan Llama Desert, thus warming the desert. The evaporation of all moisture in the air in this desert serves to cool the air as it then takes another turn, this time west through the Rajang river delta and the Selatan Archipelago.

Now as the air gradually cools as it crosses about 37 km of jungle and rolling hills, the air currents take it out to sea and then back to the Tanah Raya landmass again. By this time it has already been considerably cooled (with moisture picked up off of the ocean east of Panau), and is therefore able to provide the cool, wet environment needed to shelter the snow of the Barawan Besar mountains.

See below image as a guide:

Panau_Aerial.jpg

voxbox13
    voxbox13
    Participant

CoconutFred – This is an excellent dissertation.

I still believe elevation as it relates to temperature, as noted in my post, is a factor. But I hadn’t considered the wider ramifications of the Equatorial Currents. That’s some keen insight my friend.

In reading through your research, and then looking at your maps here, my brain wants to locate Panau somewhere slightly more Southeast of “ME” = between the “ME” and “HE” coordinates. So that Lost Island is effectively closer to “ME”, and the Selatan Archipelago is closer to “HE”… So Panau is where the 2 currents collide.

However, I realize I’ve probably missed something in the basics of meteorology by looking at it that way.

CoconutFred

>Implying that I have knowledge in the basics of meteorology

voxbox13
    voxbox13
    Participant
    CoconutFred wrote:
    >Implying that I have knowledge in the basics of meteorology

Hey, I’m just going by the evidence you’ve presented = You’ve got me convinced.
    ;)

CoconutFred

Still thinking about that infinite parachutes thing. I’m thinking something along the lines of Rico storing an alternate dimension inside his fanny pack right now.

CoconutFred wrote:
    ChristoExecutor wrote:

You know that EMP tower in the Lost Island? It’s constantly shooting out bolts of electricity with the power of multiple lightning storms, ionizing the air around it. The very atmosphere around that island rises in temperature a little each and every time the EMP is activated; this heated air expands and moves up, thus creating a little updraft around the northwestern part of Panau. As we all know, thunderstorms and storms in general form when a part of the atmosphere becomes hotter than other parts of it (becoming unstable). This is why the Lost Island always has stormy weather.

According to the University of Illinois:

Quote:
    All thunderstorms require instability (potential) and lift. The lift is the mechanism that releases the instability. Lift is produced by such things as fronts and low pressure troughs, or by air rising upslope.

The Lost Island demonstrates this here:

Quote:
    We say that the atmosphere is unstable when air rising in a cloud is warmer than its environment, like a hot-air balloon. It is the heat released by condensation within a cloud that permits the rising air to stay warmer than its surroundings, and thus to be buoyant through great depths.

So why is the Lost Island’s storm and EMP important or relevant to the diversity of Panauan climates? Well, let’s take a look at air currents to explain why this is important to Panauan weather:

globalcurrents.gif

If we assume that Panau, being in Southeast Asia, lies somewhere near the Philippines, then we can safely assume that it is also somewhere near North and South Equatorial Currents. If you look closely at the image above, you will see that the currents around that area bring air both East and West in close proximity of each other.

Now, if the Lost Island creates a hot updraft of air while Panau lies in an area of conflicting air current directions, then we could say that Panau lies in the middle of a conflicting area of currents, for instance in the “bend” where the Pacific North Equatorial Current turns from eastbound to westbound. Let’s take a closer look at this area:

Fig.1.jpg

Now if Panau is in this area (let’s say it is in the area labeled “ME”), then it is clear that it will experience some weird weather. Apparently the Lost Island is situated on the northwest corner of the area labeled “ME”. The currents in this area bring the heated air from the Lost Island down and around the Lautan Llama Desert, thus warming the desert. The evaporation of all moisture in the air in this desert serves to cool the air as it then takes another turn, this time west through the Rajang river delta and the Selatan Archipelago.

Now as the air gradually cools as it crosses about 37 km of jungle and rolling hills, the air currents take it out to sea and then back to the Tanah Raya landmass again. By this time it has already been considerably cooled (with moisture picked up off of the ocean east of Panau), and is therefore able to provide the cool, wet environment needed to shelter the snow of the Barawan Besar mountains.

See below image as a guide:

Panau_Aerial.jpg

MIND-BLOWN…. Actually pretty legit. Thanks for explaining. That’s a thumbs up and kudos for you. :cheer:

mandella644

Explain how Rico can survive a grenade explosion wearing almost no armour.

Cheesy free
    mandella644 wrote:

Rico has a “angel” guarding him that falls on the grenade to protect him. He still gets “ragdolled” because his “angel” is kinda thin.
    Not the best of explanations but it will do. For now…

Anonymous
    mandella644 wrote:

Rico has “Sub Dermal armor” or armor in his skin, consisting of metals implanted in the skin to make it more rigid and capable of taking impacts and explosions. This also explains his ability to take multiple bullets in succession. Rico’s clothing is also bulletproof, to a degree at least.

demon4511
    Participant

LOL good answer.

CoconutFred

Todo: A scientific explanation for Rico’s infinite parachutes, grenade-resistance.

Matt

Infinite Parachutes and Grenade Resistance
    I think I have pin-pointed the reasoning for this seemingly strange phenomenon.
    One of my initial reactions to the reality, or the lack thereof, was a questioning of the highly developed civilization in Panau. This was explained, in part, by the game’s ending where Panau’s abundance of crude oil was revealed. However this does not fully account for the gigantic hotels, expensive and highly developed cities and sophisticated military strongholds and facilities (Cape Carnival, PAN MILSAT etc.) that are found throughout Panau’s islands. Countries led by ‘evil’ dictators, such as Panau’s own ‘Baby” Panay, do not tend to thrive and often appear under developed compared to ‘western’ countries.

It was then that the truth began to dawn on me. In one of the campaign’s story missions there was a nuclear submarine that emerged from a large ice lake. I was confused as to how it managed to appear in the ocean later on in the game. This is evidence of my theory. Most of the modern and developed world at the time that Just Cause 2 is set is very highly developed, technologically. It would be likely that forms of teleportation, energy weapons and other ‘space age’ technologies are somewhat commonplace in regions like Europe and the United States. This would explain the nuclear submarine’s ability to appear in two locations which are not usually accessible from one to another due to the land separating the locations.

You may be thinking “hey, hang on, they only have weapons that we have in real life, not laser pistols or anything”. This is because Panau is underdeveloped compared to the rest of the world, satellite rockets on the island are old compared to modern technology. The regular rifles and pistols etc. are only what Panau can afford. The highly developed infrastructure is only highly developed according to our, real world, standards. For Panau, it is old and dated. The rest of the world is likely using hover car in comparison to petrol-fueled vehicles that Panau uses.

This brings me back to the original topic, Rico Rodriguez’s infinite parachutes and grenade resistance.
    Rico, being an agent of the CIA, has access to ‘high tech’ equipment that is available in the US. You would expect him to have shiny laser guns and a jet-pack, but Rico is a secret agent, he needs to be undercover to some extent. Because of this, he is kitted out with a traditional looking parachute and regular looking clothing that appears to have very limited armour capabilities.

The parachute bag features a semi-biological mold which actively produces a new parachute each time one is used. It forms the parachute from a light-weight, flexible, synthetic substance which is currently unknown to real-world scientists. The whole production process takes an average of 0.75 seconds. Rico’s clothing has a state-of-the-art cold fusion energy production system inside of it. This provides power to the personal, self contained force-field unit located inside rico’s clothing. This can provide limited protection from small arms fire and low to mid-high intensity explosions. Regrettably, the power supply, force-field and overall technology are not as efficient, advanced or compacted as they would need to be in order to provide full protection to Rico.
    Note: the cold fusion unit also assists the grappling hook unit used by Rico.

Well, i’ll say. The prospect of being in a futuristic time kinda like answers everything, right?

CoconutFred

Still thinking of an explanation that doesn’t require future technology or pseudoscience.

John514

Q: Why Panau hasn`t got a railroad? :huh:

Anonymous

Panau is seriously underdeveloped in some places, highly in others. However, Panau’s large metropolitan city isn’t big enough to need one, and the local towns are too poor to afford this. The mountains are too snowy to build tracks on, so it cannot extend through there either.

Disco619
    Participant

I can prove all impossibilities in Panau in four words “It’s Just a Game”!! 😆

P.S
    I am aware that this is a joke and actually a pretty bad one! :cheer:

The Bane

I’m pretty sure death valley isn’t located a few kilometers to the ocean. Panau is an island and such small islands tend to have a lot of rain. It is hardly possible that the air currents do not bring clouds which would rain all over the desert.

CoconutFred
    The Bane wrote:
    I’m pretty sure death valley isn’t located a few kilometers to the ocean. Panau is an island and such small islands tend to have a lot of rain. It is hardly possible that the air currents do not bring clouds which would rain all over the desert.

The tower at Hantu Island (the Lost Island) does change the entire game, though. The constant electric outbursts coming out of it could very feasibly heat up the air around the island and cause an updraft/downdraft imbalance, causing all the rain that could have potentially fell on the desert to fall around Hantu Island. Which is, of course, why the island is always stormy when you fly near it. Before the Lost Island mission is completed, anyways.

Ilats
    Participant

why rico need to pay to black market after finding sheldon cause you know sheldon is black market that rico is using he could get thing for free to rico

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.