Orientation – A Roadmap to Modding

Just Cause 2 Mods Forums Tutorials Orientation – A Roadmap to Modding

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      voxbox13voxbox13
      Participant

Note: This is just a concept. There is a LOT of great information available on this site.
      Perhaps there is so much information that people don’t know where to start…

So the idea here is just a give a step-by-step overview of how to dip your feet into the pool.

Obviously, this is just a first draft. If anyone has suggestions – Let me know.
      I’ll try to add them to this post so people don’t have to scroll all around the thread.
      That’s the only hard part about Tutorials or Step-by-Step Guides in a Forum thread =
      Info gets spread around multiple pages and doesn’t always have a good flow to it.

So – On to the Orientation …

*** UPDATE ***
      NOTE – THE LINKS SHOULD NOW BE ADJUSTED FOR THESE PROFILE SETTINGS:
      “DEFAULT” & “First Post First”

*** My humble apologies for the confusion ***

If you use the profile setting “Last Post First“, these links are not 100% accurate.
      They will take you to the thread, but not to the specific post.

Thank you to FINDarkside for helping to discover this discrepancy.

Orientation – A Roadmap to Modding

Some of the people here (including myself) had never modded before…
      Everything they learned was from our Forum/Tutorials section.
      This is an effort to get you pointed in the right direction.

There are lots of different types of mods you can make in JC2.
      * weapon performance
      * vehicle skins
      * character skins
      * weaponizing vehicles
      * etc

They all have basic things in common like:
      How you use the mod tools, etc …

BUT they also have a lot of different methods / techniques / processes for each type of mod.

Your first steps to learning the basics of how to mod:

1) TOOLS
      Get yourself a copy of Gibbed’s Tools
      I like r128 because it can run off a flash drive – If you work with any mod files away from your gaming rig.
      Gibbed’s Tools r128
      http://www.justcause2mods.com/mods/other/Modding-Tools/Gibbeds-Tools-r128—MuNkEy/

This is the most current version to date – Requires .NET and XNA redistributables (4.0)
      Gibbed’s Tools r169
      http://www.justcause2mods.com/mods/other/Modding-Tools/Gibbeds-Tools-r169/

2) INTRO
      Read this post – It is important to have this overview
      Introduction to JC2 Modding
      http://www.justcause2mods.com/forum/19-tutorials/361-introduction-to-jc2-modding?limitstart=0#361
      * Make sure to do his Quick Tutorial! (Listed about 1/2 way down his post)

3) MODDING JC2 .bin / .xml FILES
      Read this post about weapons values. It will help you understand more about the .bin / .xml files
      Weapons.bin modifications
      http://www.justcause2mods.com/forum/19-tutorials/359-weaponsbin-modifications?limitstart=0#359

4) MODDING & SKINNING VEHICLES
      Read this thread about modding and skinning vehicles
      Simple Vehicle skin Tutorial
      http://www.justcause2mods.com/forum/19-tutorials/1997-simple-vehicle-skin-tutorial?limitstart=0#1997

5) REFERENCE & RESEARCH INFO
      Bookmark this page – Get used to going there
      The Forum/Tutorials Index
      http://www.justcause2mods.com/forum/19-tutorials
      Look thru the subject lines for tutorials you’re interested in.

6) CHARACTER SKINS
      If you want to create Character Skins:
      Take a look at these 2 tutorials:

The first one is how I learned.
      It’s very good, but demands patience and practice…

A Just Cause 2 character model editing tutorial
      http://www.justcause2mods.com/forum/19-tutorials/5218-a-just-cause-2-character-model-editing-tutorial#5218

Gibbed’s Model Viewer & Hex-Editing- Tips&Tricks
      http://www.justcause2mods.com/forum/19-tutorials/19592-gibbeds-model-viewer-a-hex-editing-tipsatricks#19592

This one is extra stuff I discovered along the way…
      It should save you from some of the same headaches I had to endure. ;)

> TIP ! – For a lot of these tutorials = Read (quickly) thru the whole thread first.
      A lot of times there is information at the end of the thread that will help explain
      the stuff at the beginning of the thread.

> TIP ! – If a tutorial has a step-by-step process you can follow = DO IT.
      Even if it’s not exactly the mod you want to make, just go through the process.
      You will learn a LOT, and it will help you with the mod you really want to make.

> TIP ! – If you have a question, please ask. BUT – Please try to be very specific.
      Like – Let us know what you’re already tried. Provide a copy of some of your code. Post a screenshot.
      The more you tell us about your situation, the better and more quickly we can help you.

Disco619
      Participant

I have tried all the links but none of them work! It gives an 404 error i.e Page not found! I really needed that skinning tutorial!

voxbox13voxbox13
      Participant
      Lucifer_666_ wrote:
      I have tried all the links but none of them work!
      It gives an 404 error i.e Page not found! I really needed that skinning tutorial!

Thanks for the heads-up! I’ve FIXED the links.

(They must have broken when the site was overhauled and upgraded recently.)

BTW, r169 requires no more extra setup than r128 does. It just needs newer versions of the .NET and XNA redistributables (4.0 instead of 3.1).

voxbox13voxbox13
      Participant
      CoconutFred wrote:
      BTW, r169 requires no more extra setup than r128 does. It just needs newer versions of the .NET and XNA redistributables (4.0 instead of 3.1).

You’re right. I updated to try to get my point across better.

Slender Man
      Participant

this is the most hardest thing since world war 2 none of these links are useful and I do not understand at all

voxbox13voxbox13
      Participant
      slade04 wrote:
      this is the most hardest thing since world war 2 none of these links are useful and I do not understand at all

All the links work. I just checked.

This is challenging, but not impossible. The info on this forum is how I learned to mod JC2.
      (Except now there is even more information available.)
      Also – I’d never modded anything before. Hell, I’d never used a mod before.
      I was brand new to PC gaming when I landed here.

Just start reading and follow the tutorials, step-by-step.

Re: ” this is the most hardest thing since world war 2 ”
      Our world is doomed.

FINDarkside
      Participant

Yes they work, but you are usually linking to the last page of the thread and not the first as you probably should.

voxbox13voxbox13
      Participant

[

FINDarkside wrote:
      Yes they work, but you are usually linking to the last page of the thread and not the first as you probably should.

Respectfully, the links point to specific posts in threads where the information starts, as I intend.

In other words, I am pointing beginners to where they can start reading,
      not to the part of the thread where they would post a question.

Since there are hundreds of threads, beginners have trouble finding which threads to start with.
      That’s all this “Roadmap” is trying to address:
      Point beginners to a few good threads to start reading and absorbing.

However, if people cannot navigate from one page of that thread
      to another page of the exact same thread,
      then we face an entirely different challenge.

FINDarkside
      Participant
      voxbox13 wrote:
      In other words, I am pointing beginners to where they can start reading,
      not to the part of the thread where they would post a question.

Oh seriously? What can you learn from this page? You really think that it would be better to start from that page instead of from the actual tutorial?

Quote:
      However, if people cannot navigate from one page of that thread
      to another page of the exact same thread,
      then we face an entirely different challenge.

Well I don’t see any advantage of linking anyone to some useless page of the thread just because “they can move to the actual tutorial”. It just makes things more complicated for beginners.

voxbox13voxbox13
      Participant

Hmmmm… Okay. Obviously different people are getting different results.
      This is interesting. Maybe we can figure this out.

When I click on my link = It goes to the tutorial itself. Not just the thread. Not the wrong page in the thread.
      It goes to the top of the actual Tutorial Post. THAT is what I intend.
      No hunting. The tutorial is right there in front of my friggin’ face.

But that is not what you are seeing, correct?

Curiously, the link you reference takes ME (maybe just me?) to the top of the 2nd page of the Thread.
      I notice the link you referenced is different than the one I posted. The one you reference is missing the “#1997”.
      Do you see what I mean?

In the last few years, every time I click on a link here, I’ve noticed that number code
      is the part of the link that will ALWAYS take ME to the actual tutorial post.
      But maybe that’s not universal…

All I can think of so far is this:
      In my forum profile settings: Preferred Message Ordering – Last Post First.
      I’m using Firefox.

Maybe it’s a difference in settings, or browser, but I am confused and curious why my links work perfectly for me (the way you WANT them to work) … but they do not work for you.

FINDarkside
      Participant

Haha yes, that is the problem, you are always linking to the “last post”. but for you the last post is actually the first post :P

voxbox13voxbox13
      Participant
      voxbox13voxbox13
      Participant
      FINDarkside wrote:
      Haha yes, that is the problem, you are always linking to the “last post”. but for you the last post is actually the first post :P

@ FINDarkside – Thank you. I appreciate your help and patience.

@All – I have updated the links in the original post.
      They are now adjusted for more common forum profile settings.
      Please let me know if you have any issues.

Soldiershak
      Participant

Links don’t work

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.