Mods : How to install them.

Just Cause 2 Mods Forums Mod Help Mods : How to install them.

This topic contains 88 replies, has 56 voices, and was last updated by  unitato 3 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Shawn

I’m quite tired of seeing people asking how to install mods so I decided to make a tutorial.
    First, if you don’t have a dropzone folder you should make one.

1. Find the path to your Just Cause 2’s install directory.

– If you’re using steam, the path should be something like this:
    “C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Just Cause 2”
    x64 Windows: “C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Just Cause 2”

-If you’re not, then it should be:
    “C:/Program Files/SQUARE ENIX – Eidos Interactive/Just Cause 2”
    x64 Windows: “C:/Program Files (x86)/SQUARE ENIX – Eidos Interactive/Just Cause 2”

2. There, you must created a folder called “dropzone” without quotes

-The path to your dropzone folder should look like
    “C:/Program Files (x86)/SQUARE ENIX – Eidos Interactive/Just Cause 2/dropzone”
    in steam : “C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Just Cause 2/dropzone”

3. Put the modded/downloaded files into the dropzone folder.

NOTE: If it’s modded DLC, the pc_(#).arc and pc_(#).tab should go into the
    “dlc”(without quotes) folder. I strongly recommend that you to backup the
    original pc_(#).arc and pc_(#).tab somewhere before installing the mod.

Like this, if you ever want to remove the mod, you’ll only have to overwrite the
    modded ones with the original ones.

Path to dlc folder:
    “C:/Program Files (x86)/SQUARE ENIX – Eidos Interactive/Just Cause 2/dlc”
    steam: “C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Just Cause 2/dlc”

Full Archive Mods: (.arc and .tab mod files)

If you’ve downloaded a mod and you have .arc and .tab files, simply put them in “archives_win32” (without quotes) folder. Make sure you backup replaced files BEFORE installing the new ones! If you’re not, you’re gonna be stuck with it unless you reinstall the game!( or delete local content in steam).

Full path to archives_win32 folder:
    Non-steam (aka CD install)
    “C:/Program Files/SQUARE ENIX – Eidos Interactive/Just Cause 2/archives_win32”
    x64 Windows: “C:/Program Files (x86)/SQUARE ENIX – Eidos Interactive/Just Cause 2/archives_win32”

Steam:
    “C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Just Cause 2/archives_win32”
    x64 Windows: “C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Just Cause 2/archives_win32”

4. Run the game and your freshly installed mod should work :cheese:

Well… IF YOU READ THE TUTORIAL, IT SHOULD! xD

MODS CANNOT BE INSTALLED ON THE PS3, SORRY

israel

yeah, uhm… i downloaded the chuck norris skin mod, and the super agency mod, or something like that its called, i have them both in my dropzone folder. I start the game, and none would work, rico looks the same old way and whenever i buy a fully upgraded vehicle from the blackmarket it dosnt run on walls or over the water like the mods says it would do.

So, any idea what i might be doing wrong? :S

Shawn

The skin should since whatever directory it is in it will work, but the super agency mod might be broken, see with the creator.

Note: unrar (open with WinRAR and copy files(or extract)) and put them into your dropzone folder…

israel

yeah i extracted both. putted them in the dropzone.

uhm, just in case, the skin files says they are .dds idk if that could have anything to do.

and the agancy super pack (thats what its called) are all .bin

also i have the bolopatch, and it works pretty good, dont know if that could also have anything to do.

And thanks for helping dude :)

Shawn

well.. If the .bin and the .dds files are in your dropzone folder I don’t know why it shouldn’t work. Oh, and check you dropzone folder for seperate_files.arc seperate_files.tab and delete them ONLY if your game is not running.

Kenneth

Hey Thanx. I appreciate the time u put in to help. Without it I’d still be stuck. ;)

HowToInstall

This information should be available somewhere on the justcause2mods.com site without having to register for the forums.

peter Ed

Help me i can’t find the dropzone folder anywhere on my pc what shall i do ??

Daniel

… C:programfiles/steam/steamapps/common/justcause2/dropzone. If ain’t there, make it.

Shawn

peetoz wrote:

Quote:

Have you read the fuckin tutorial??!?! 1. Find you Just cause 2’s install directory
    shoaxthabeast wrote:

Quote:
    2. There you must created a folder called “dropzone” without quotes.

damn.. learn to READ!!

Joe

How do I install more than one mod?

To clarify: lets say I extract a mod with the black market file. I extract another mod with its own black market file as well. The second one overwrites the previous one and leaves me with only the latest mod. This happens with the weapons file as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn

You must look throught the code by converting the .bin to .xml with Gibbed’s tools, copy the modified code from one and paste it over the same part of code in the other one. Then convert the final .xml file with the two mods combined to .bin and put in dropzone folder.

WARNING: You should be careful about the modified codes and make sure that its not the same part of code that is modified in both files ’cause it will overwrite one of them and only the one you pasted over will work

Alec Barrie

I have no ‘dropzone’ folder… can i just create one and put the mod in?

Gawl

Flamingwok wrote:

Quote:
    I have no ‘dropzone’ folder… can i just create one and put the mod in?

shoaxthabeast wrote:

Quote:
    2. There you must created a folder called “dropzone” without quotes

Shawn

Wow… seriously you guys can’t obviously read… and answer was 6 posts above!

EDIT: Added colors for those who can’t read black on light grey…

Well I had done every step, created the dropzone folder, put all the files in the mod(zipped) and when I want to start it, the game directly gives me encountered a problem.
    The mod I downloaded was Chaos Parachute as default and Crysis skin.

Please help me and please tell me if there is a difference in installing the parachute and skin.

Please Please help me :( :( :(

Daniel

You don’t put the ZIP in the folder…
    You just put the files in the ZIP in the folder, but ofc. not all the files, no readme’s etc…
    Just the files in the zip…

I downloaded the “Black Market editor” and I ran it and selected what I wanted then it gave me Blackmarket.xml and i put it in my dropzone folder in just cause 2 folder. Started my game and my blackmarket was the same as before I dont get whats going on here.

My copy is illegal would that have something to do with the problem?

NotSoCoolJ

Unknown wrote:

Quote:
    I downloaded the “Black Market editor” and I ran it and selected what I wanted then it gave me Blackmarket.xml and i put it in my dropzone folder in just cause 2 folder. Started my game and my blackmarket was the same as before I dont get whats going on here.

My copy is illegal would that have something to do with the problem?

It’s not because your copy is illegal. I however, refuse to help you at all, ever. Go buy the game you thief.

hahahaha

u have to put the bin file into just cause 2/dropzone. not the xml

Keke

thanks for the help!

Zane

I cant believe the amount of people who didn’t read the First post on page one. :huh:

senn

ok downloaded sheldons hell van of whatever it’s called from the competition section. Extracted contents to just cause2dropzone folder (mine is the steam version, if that matters)

Loaded the game and i can’t find the vehicle in black market, have i done something wrong? Do i need another mod to make this one work?

Any help appreciated guys + gals

Roger

If you have multiple of the same .bin files what would you do? I have 2 Weapons.bin from 2 different mods.

Anonymous

can i make an new map in the dropzone map to order my mods ?
    and would it load normaly?( with the mods)

IrishGuy
    Participant

Do i leave skin mods in the folder? they are not working for me with just the files in the dropzone folder. also blackmarket mods no longer work i have tried two different ones.

tim

Were Do You Search To Find The Just Cause Download i am looking in my documents but every time i put in the link it goes to the internet and it says it has no connection Can You help Me what am i doing wronge?

tray

hey im still stuck becuase i dont even know how do do step 1 after that i shouldent have problems instaling them i just need to know where and how to start im on a laptop and i have my xbox hooked up to my modem if that makes some diffrence let me know ive had alot of difficulty with files between my xbox and computer and i still havent even been able to transfer music becuase it just leads me in circles… if any one can like talk to me and help me out step by step that would be great and plz dont just point me to another guide ive looked at plenty and thay dont help with my issues thay are before the guides themselves

john

Will this work for the demo version?

alright, so the mod i have put in the dropzone folder is a rar, but it wont let me winRar or what ever i think i need to do…am i missing something or other?

Longcat

What doesn’t it let you do?
    Just not open them or not do anything when you open it.

Christopher

Heya, just wanted to thank you for adding this post. Thanks for putting the time into it :) Just wanted to know if any mods might cancel each other out or are likely to cause problems. So far I haven’t found any issues with the mods.

Frostbitten

HowToInstall wrote:

Quote:
    This information should be available somewhere on the justcause2mods.com site without having to register for the forums.

Heavily agreed, as I most likely will not be posting here again. Thanks for the info though, OP.

Steven H

I did what it said. I put the .bin files into the dropzone folder but when i try to launch the game it does not do any thing. As soon as I remove the .bin files it starts to work. How the Hell do i get it to work.

Steven H

i Got it. You have to run it as an administrator.

Moogie

Thank you OP for your time and hard work in creating this easy-to-follow thread. You took the initiative, you did the work, and you deserve the praise. :)

Also thanks to the 1-2 people who posted about running as Administrator. As someone who was also getting “bex” errors with the dropzone folder, I can confirm that running as Admin did indeed solve the problem for me. So if you stumbled here after searching for “bex” or similar, try it!

Andrei

I just discovered mods for JC2. My question is, how do I install 2 weapon mods? For example I have triggered explosive v2, but how do I install a grapple mod along with that? The problem is that both have a weapons.bin, so what do I have to do?

adasd123

Dam these forums are so dead and people done no how to read :(

Ian

If a mod says it is for a 360 how do you load it into the game

David Moore

take your x box 360 and a big hammer and smash the fuck out of it. then you can use your mods LOL get your self a pc better game play and easier to mod crack patch hack and the rest…

im a pc and playing just cause 2 non stop was my idear.

PEOPLE REED THE RED RIGHTING ON PAGE 1

Philip

Help! Do these mods wortk for just cause 1 demo? And can i code the n=bolopatch to work with just cause 1?:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

David Moore

What do YOU think seen as the web site is for JUST CAUSE 2 MODS! READ THE TITLE..

Mark

Where do saved games go? i’m using steam. I’ve put them everywhere I can think of and can’t get them to work :(

Sven Schiele

I do this tutorial 5 or 6 times, whit “dropzone” folder and any other thinks but the mods don´t work.

So can enybodey help me?

James
    Hidden Content
    You must be logged in to see hidden content.

max

How do you get these mods to work for the xbox 360. i got xport 360 and tried putting the mods in every place i could think of but they never work!!!!!!:(

bobby

howdy

i’m a bit of a newb to modding. BUT i DID read the tutorial i unzipped my rar files to a new file created a dropzone folder in my just cause 2 directory and then copied the files to the dropzone folder, but they are not working. m The game runs fine just no effect from the mods, is there some secret handshake type thing i’ve missed out on I KNOW i followed the instructions to the letter. for the recored the mods i installed are zxz_s Blackmarket Mod_2 and Just Cause 2 super weapons mod form the replies on their pages seems they worked for others.

The only thing i can think of is that i installed them mid game, do i need to start a new game for them to take effect?

Thanks in advance

L4F

Jared

A quick correction: If you’re using steam, you can revert replaced files by clicking ‘Verify integrity of game cache’ in the files tab in the game properties menu. It will check your install and redownload ONLY broken/changed files. :)

Kellen Bruce

can u mod using the mac? cause thats what i have

it´s the same for the xbox 360? or there is ano another proces?

voxbox13
    voxbox13
    Participant

gracar9 wrote:

Quote:
    it´s the same for the xbox 360? or there is ano another proces?

Did you already try this thread?
    http://www.justcause2mods.com/forum.html?func=view&catid=19&id=1546

Gavin

“MODS CANNOT BE INSTALLED ON THE PS3, SORRY”

crap:(

voxbox13
    voxbox13
    Participant

gooop456 wrote:

Quote:
    “MODS CANNOT BE INSTALLED ON THE PS3, SORRY”

crap:(

Unless it’a an elaborate hoax, see this thread:

Playstation 3 – Modding Tutorial
    http://www.justcause2mods.com/forum.html?func=view&catid=19&id=10143#10143

And this post in particular:
    http://www.justcause2mods.com/forum.html?func=view&catid=19&id=10143#11442

Annie

There are no mods for Just Cause 1.

Aleksanteri

Thank you!!!! You are the best :D (no homo) i have been trying to search everywhere “how to install mods to non steam just cause 2?” :))) but now i found it :silly:

poxyslo

It’s nomally if have more than 3 mods, game crush?

voxbox13
    voxbox13
    Participant

poxyslo wrote:

Quote:
    It’s nomally if have more than 3 mods, game crush?

Number of mods is not an issue (unless they are mods that might be conflicting / incompatible with each other).
    I have around 25 or 30 mods installed. Most are vehicle skins / vehicle performance,
    cosmetic changes to environment, one character skin, etc.

One common example of conflicting mods, is installing two “gameplay” changing mods
    at the same time… For instance:
    Can’t Stop the Factions + Can’t Stop the Police
    or
    More Police + Extreme Heat
    etc.

Can you please post :
    1) The names of the mods you are using.
    (Full titles & links if possible, so we know exactly what you’re using)

and

2) the folder name(s) where you have them installed.
    (Some mods go in different folders, so that might also be the problem.)

voxbox13
    voxbox13
    Participant

Hi poxyslo

Okay, from the chat box, it looks like these mods (below)
    are the mods you’re having trouble with.

Also – It SOUNDS like you’ve got them ALL in the dropzone folder
    (because you say “dropzone map”).
    If true, then this is the problem…

zxz’s mod does NOT go in dropzone. It goes in archives_win32.

See below for detailed HOW/WHERE to install.

1) zxz’s Blackmarket Mod
    http://www.justcause2mods.com/mods/other/Black-Market/zxzs-Blackmarket-Mod/

Install:
    Unzip the mod’s download file.
    Put the zxz_bmmod.arc and the zxz_bmmod.tab into your archives_win32 folder.
    Be sure to remove all other black market mod or this will not work.

2) Chaos Parachute as default
    http://www.justcause2mods.com/mods/other/Parachute/Chaos-Parachute-as-default/

Install:
    Unzip the mod’s download file.
    Look in the folder called “For PC“.
    Put that file parachuteparams.bin file into your dropzone folder.

3) Increased Grapple Range & Speed
    http://www.justcause2mods.com/mods/other/Gameplay/Increased-Grapple-Range–and–Speed/

Install: Unzip the mod’s download file.
    Put weapons.bin and grapplingparams.bin into your dropzone folder.

Rawn

I can’t even get my game to start up…

It says that it is updating but it is at 0 seconds until it is finished. The catch is that it NEVER finishes and I cannot play the game!

Help!

austin

I made a video on how to install the most common mods.
    Its easy to follow, and is not narrated by a 10 year old talking into his justin bieber sing-a-long mic.

Link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsi7-x4jgyg&feature=plcp

CoconutFred

Nice, +Chaos for you. :)

voxbox13
    voxbox13
    Participant

Warhawker wrote:

Quote:
    I made a video on how to install the most common mods.
    Its easy to follow, and is not narrated by a 10 year old talking into his justin bieber sing-a-long mic.

Link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsi7-x4jgyg&feature=plcp

Awesome – Nicely done sir. Thanks for making this.

(+1 Chaos)

Joe

You have to extract the zipped folder into your Dropzone.

after i put the mod on the dropzone folder, the game won’t start and appear the notification like this “not enough storage is available to complete this operation”.. can you tell me how to fix that?

voxbox13
    voxbox13
    Participant

Usually it’s either:

1) dropzone is in wrong location. Double check the dropzone location with what’s listed in this thread.

2) In Steam / Library –> Verify integrity of game cache files.

Hope this helps.

Chris

At first I accidentally placed the dropzone file in the wrong area, but then I deleted it and placed it in the right place as indicated by the OP, but I still get the storage error. Verifying game cache files did not help either. Do I have to re-install my game in order to fix it?

voxbox13
    voxbox13
    Participant

Spart wrote:

Quote:
    At first I accidentally placed the dropzone file in the wrong area, but then I deleted it and placed it in the right place as indicated by the OP, but I still get the storage error. Verifying game cache files did not help either. Do I have to re-install my game in order to fix it?

Not sure. If you haven’t already started a re-install, try “Run as Administrator” – That’s the latest fashionable fix that seems to help when other steps don’t.

Good luck – Give us an update.

Aidi

i need help pls,i installed some mods,did what was in the instructions that u wrote, putted it in the dropzone folder,started the game and the mods didnt work after starting.pls help

mods i downloaded=1 grappling hook range
    2 triggered explosive

voxbox13
    voxbox13
    Participant

aidiaizat wrote:

Quote:
    i need help pls,i installed some mods,did what was in the instructions that u wrote, putted it in the dropzone folder,started the game and the mods didnt work after starting.pls help

mods i downloaded=1 grappling hook range
    2 triggered explosive

First step = confirm that your dropzone folder is in the correct location:

Mods : How to install them
    http://www.justcause2mods.com/forum.html?func=view&catid=21&id=3270&limit=20#3270

If not, have you…
    > Set the game to “Run as Administrator”?

> Go to Steam Library – “Verify Integrity of Game Cache Files”?

Aidi

i tried both and still no effect :(

voxbox13
    voxbox13
    Participant

aidiaizat wrote:

Quote:
    i tried both and still no effect :(

Can you copy / paste the file string location of your dropzone?

For example:
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Just Cause 2/dropzone

Also – Are you unpacking the files before putting them in dropzone?

For example:
    These types of files go in dropzone
    filename.eez
    filename.bin

These types of files DO NOT go in dropzone
    filename.zip
    filename.rar

NOTE:
    These types of files go in archives_win32
    filename.arc
    filename.tab

Aidi

yes,i have unzipped it and placed the contents into the dropzone folder.

the file names are weapons.bin and explosions_triggered_mine(also bin file)

and after i start the game,it didnt work so i closed the game and i saw a file in dropzone called separate_files.tab. :blink:

voxbox13
    voxbox13
    Participant

Okay – you appear to have the correct dropzone location.
    (Because separate_files.tab and separate_files.arc are temporary files
    the game creates in dropzone while the game is running.)

But I’m still not sure why you’re not getting results.

We can try a different type of mod to test if everything’s loading.

Let’s try putting a character skin in your dropzone.

Download this, and put the “characters” folder in dropzone.
    http://www.justcause2mods.com/mods/Player/Bolo-with-Ricos-Gear/

Let me know if it works. [fingers crossed]

Aidi

It didnt work :(

voxbox13
    voxbox13
    Participant

aidiaizat wrote:

Quote:
    It didnt work :(

This is bizarre. There’s no good reason it shouldn’t be working. :huh:

Okay, back to basic troubleshooting.
    Sorry if these points are obvious, but we have to go step by step.

Make sure you’re putting the files into dropzone when the game is NOT running.
    Add the files, then start the game.

Please post the file string for dropzone location.
    (I know I know … I said it looks right, but it’s still not working)

Or better than that – also post a screenshot of what your dropzone looks like
    when you have mods installed.

Aidi

darn,couldnt post the image but its=
    steam-steamapps-common-Just Cause 2-dropzone

voxbox13
    voxbox13
    Participant

aidiaizat wrote:

Quote:
    darn,couldnt post the image but its=
    steam-steamapps-common-Just Cause 2-dropzone

Okay – that looks good for dropzone location. Crap. I’m running out of ideas.

How about trying this mod:
    zxz’s Blackmarket Mod
    http://www.justcause2mods.com/mods/other/Black-Market/zxzs-Blackmarket-Mod/

Because – these files (.arc & .tab) go in archives_win32
    If that works = that might tell us something.

If that doesn’t work = shit. I’m out of ideas.

Your dropzone appears to be in the correct location.
    That is usually the only thing you have to do. :ohmy:

Aidi

that one worked perfectly fine.no glitches.

voxbox13
    voxbox13
    Participant

aidiaizat wrote:

Quote:
    that one worked perfectly fine.no glitches.

Okay – Maybe you can try this as a potential work-around.

You remember those separate.arc & separate.tab files that were created in dropzone?
    Those are temporary collections of all the mods in dropzone.
    Maybe we can use those to our advantage here…

So …
    Put the mods you want into dropzone. Then follow this process to create and capture a set of .arc & .tab files with your mods.

How to convert files to .arc & .tab
    http://www.justcause2mods.com/forum.html?func=view&id=12368&catid=19#12368

(Under Step 7, follow Option 1)

IF it works – it’s not a perfect solution for you – but at least you could use the mods.

Aidi

how come only a separate.tab file appears but a separate.arc file doesnt appear in the dropzone folder for me?

voxbox13
    voxbox13
    Participant

aidiaizat wrote:

Quote:
    how come only a separate.tab file appears but a separate.arc file doesnt appear in the dropzone folder for me?

Oh! Hmmmm… This may be part of why your mods in dropzone aren’t working.

But – I’m not sure WHY this is happening.

So it sounds like something to do with dropzone folder. But WTF?

I believe you are naming it all lowercase = dropzone = correct?

Other forum members –> Any ideas, please??

Aidi

yes,i did name the folder dropzone without any capital letters

CoconutFred

What is your game EXE called? Justcause2.exe or justcause2_game.exe?

Aidi

im not sure because the exe is only ‘JustCause2’in the JC2 folder

CoconutFred

Ok, I was just making sure that you weren’t using a pirated game.

Aidi

im using steam,how can it be pirated?

demon4511
    Participant

shoaxthabeast wrote:

Quote:
    peetoz wrote:

Quote:

Have you read the fuckin tutorial??!?! 1. Find you Just cause 2’s install directory
    shoaxthabeast wrote:

Quote:
    2. There you must created a folder called “dropzone” without quotes.

damn.. learn to READ!!

LOL

croxx
    Participant

i extracted the mods in the folder dropzone in my just cause 2 directory but i cant open the game
    when i installed the blackmarket mod and tried to open the game
    the game doesnt run B)

unitato
    Participant

I Downloaded & Installed Regenerating God Mode, and Placed the Player.bin in the dropzone file. I Launched JC2, But it didn’t open. Anyone know how to fix?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.