Minor Suggestions

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Pridit
      Participant

I’d just like to pass along a few suggestions that I generally feel that will slightly improve the the website, anyway these are just my personal views so it’s completely optional.

Firstly removing the little rank in the brackets beside the name and placing a grey box underneath your username with the rank instead, like for example “Member” could be white, “Moderator” could be a dark-ish green, “Administrator” could be a dark-ish red and “Donator” could be a nice dark orange.

Secondly is something for the long run incase the website gets overly populated and it’s eating bandwidth like a fat man at an all you can eat buffet. Basically, a credits system everytime you post you get three or so credits, to download something you need one credit this will reduce the amount of leechers and further increase forum activity but sadly may increase spam but I’m sure with a larger amount of staff members like atleast one on each time of the day/night you’ll be able to maintain the level of spam if any.

Thirdly, a font change – the current one is okay but I personally think it’s a little buldgy maybe a font a little thinner and crisp might improve the overall design.

Just my two cents.

ZeninZenin
      Keymaster

hmm the rank title is below the avatar right now, i know many other forums have it under the username, so yeh i could move this, but it wont make much diffrence really.

yeh i was thinking of a system like this myself, it would be extremely hard to make as both the forum and database is seperate. we are ok for bandwidth and i think we will be for a long time, its just i have to keep telling people to click so that we can pay for the bill.

also the font looks amazing, i changed the whole sites font recently for a sharper font..so its strange to hear you say that. do you have windows xp by any chance? post a screenshot so i can see how it looks for you..

Pridit
      Participant

Sure, it won’t make that much difference I just overall think it would just slightly improve the layout and make things a little more organized and colour coded.

Why don’t you try and combine the two databases then? that way you’ll be able to make such a system easier. It was just an idea for the long run because I know some modding communities (gta for example) have literally thousands of files hosted and thousands of downloads so must be insane the amount of bandwidth and space it uses.

Well, the font looks a little fat and I just thought a font like on facepunch which is crisp and clean would look better overall. I made a quick little image showing it (here). You can clearly see that it’s pretty buldgy.

If you would like I don’t mind making these minor changes if you’re busy or working on something else, if I change anything I’d run it by you first but it’d be nice to make minor changes just to see if we can improve on these things and make the forum cleaner and simpler. I have vast experience in PHP and recently created a User System for a SA-MP server, getting results from MySQL databases etc so I’m pretty familiar with the whole database and such. Anyway, it’s just an idea.

staplerpirate
      Participant

ZeninZenin
      Keymaster

ok ill see what i can do with the profile field on the left :)

i still dont understand about the fonts, our font is better, vista and windows 7 see Segoe UI and mac sees something similar, xp sees the normal arial.

heres a comparision, doesn’t yours look like this?
      fontf.jpg

Pridit
      Participant

I’m not going to nitpick what’s wrong with the font, I’m just saying that my personal opinion is that it’s quite buldgy and I thought that a crisper and thinner font may have looked a little better. The current font is fine it was just a suggestion, I’m not forcing you to change it.

Also, why does it say “Forum Forum Stats” at the bottom on the forum index?

ZeninZenin
      Keymaster

i know what you’re talking about now..its just the BOLD font that ure talking about ..seems like all links on the topic list are bold.

there needs to be some bold..you would be very confused otherwise e.g (Re:Minor Suggestions 1 Hour, 26 Minutes ago) that bit. i will change the bold topic links, i think that will look better but ill leave the rest as it is.
      but seriously this font IS the sharpest and crispest font that can be displayed on web. (normal text not bold lol)

ah its cos the forum is called forum, so it doubles up to forum forum stats… hmmm will see what i can do

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.