Increased Grapple Range & Speed

Just Cause 2 Mods Forums Modifications Increased Grapple Range & Speed

This topic contains 78 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by  ginrikuzuma 5 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Pridit
    Participant

Simple modification to increase the range of the grapple and also the movement speed so you can travel long distances in a short time.

I’m glad I could give something back to the community, even if it’s as small as this. I’m open to suggestions but don’t hold your breath. I’ll do my best to fix any problems and answer any questions related to the mod.

Read the readme text document included in the zip file for more information along with an installation guide.

READ THE TOPIC IF YOU’RE EXPERIENCING PROBLEMS, DON’T POST IN THE COMMENTS BELOW.

http://www.justcause2mods.com/forum/14-modifications/1033-increased-grapple-range-a-speed

Michael

Anyone else tend to lock up when grappling a fairly decent distance with this mod? 99% of the time if I am trying to grapple a long ways say 2K + it locks up the game.

Pridit
    Participant

Dazed0119 wrote:

Quote:
    Anyone else tend to lock up when grappling a fairly decent distance with this mod? 99% of the time if I am trying to grapple a long ways say 2K + it locks up the game.

I’ve never experienced this and can’t think as to why this would occur. It’s only changing a few values I can’t see how it would “lock up the game” it’s not like I’m editing any memory which would be likely to cause such an effect.

Michael

Yeah after playing around a bit more with things, dont think this is what is causing it. Just seemed to be every time I Grappled. Have it happening now when using my chute to, so trying a reinstall now to see if that helps any.

Pridit
    Participant

Wouldn’t recommend reinstalling, it can take hours depending on your download speed and the reinstall may not even fix the problem. I suggest removing the contents of your “dropzone” folder and see if it’s a mod that you have in there that may be causing the lock up, if not then maybe tone down your graphic settings and see if that works.

Wayne

When I grapple a wall, I cant grapple another wall from that reeled in position

Isak

Do you have any progress with the “stuck in the sky” glitch?

Pridit
    Participant

LolNade wrote:

Quote:
    Do you have any progress with the “stuck in the sky” glitch?

Sadly I’ve never experienced that one, could you make a video please or explain how the glitch occurs.

Zenin
    Zenin
    Keymaster

colonelwcf wrote:

Quote:
    When I grapple a wall, I cant grapple another wall from that reeled in position

this happens to me then using bolopatch multiple ropes, i think thats the problem. not this mod.

Dean

This is not a bug, It’s the game zones your in, When you encounter this, its simple getting stuck at the end of that zone,though this is by passable if you can remive the zones, witch takes time to workaround, i only of one that’s been able to do it so far.
    So this will always happen at certain areas.

Isak

Sorry for my vague description. What I meant to say, was if you fire the grappling hook into the air, it will stay there until you fire another one at the ground or whatever.

Pridit
    Participant

LolNade wrote:

Quote:
    Sorry for my vague description. What I meant to say, was if you fire the grappling hook into the air, it will stay there until you fire another one at the ground or whatever.

Yeah, haven’t been able to find an exact fix but I think it just does that because I increased the range so much that it just slightly bugs out if you don’t grapple to a surface properly. I’ll look into it a little bit more tomorrow and see if I can narrow down the problem and possibly try and fix it.

Even if I don’t it’s not the end of the world, it’s just a minor bug anyway.

Isak

Yeah true. Thanks tho.

Ben

Man..I am getting frustrated here! I am new to Windows 7 and Just Cause 2 is the first game I have installed. I would love to try this extended grappling hook range mod…but can’t find where the heck the game is installed!! I see the just cause 2 folder in my documents, but that just has my save games. I don’t see it listed anywhere on my C drive. I am trying to put the grapple mod in the dropzone folder…but can’t find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Pridit
    Participant

Your Just Cause 2 directory should be located somewhere in steam.

Something like: C: -> Program Files -> Steam -> steamapps -> common -> just cause 2

Ben

Thanks! I located the folder and had to create the “dropzone” folder. I put the grapplingparams.bin in the dropzone folder…but it didn’t change anything. Any tips?

Isak

There are two files you are supposed to put in. Try re-downloading and extract both this time.

wteSmithy

Tried this yesterday and I think its amazing so thanks Pridit. It works fine for me apart from when you detach from anything far away, it still shows the grapple rope.

Don’t see why it shouldn’t work for people unless your using other mods or the bolopatch. As directed by the readme file, I just extracted the 2 files (weapons.bin and grapplingparams.bin) to: Program FilesSteamsteamappscommonjust cause 2dropzone.

It makes short work of getting about bases or whole cities. I hope you don’t decrease the distance or if you do, just have 2 versions of it.

Nice work :)

taiiat

i myself would prefer if the range wasn’t increased that ungodly far, so having a separate release with a range that’s increased to twice the normal range, tops, would be great. i don’t like the idea of being able to grapple from mountain to mountain or right to the edge of the cordon.

Jefferson

Exactly.

Theo

I really liked this mod, but what I really wanted was infinite grapling hook range, so that I could, for example, get to the Mile High Club from the ground. I saw a mod like this in Youtube, though I can’t find it.

Pridit
    Participant
    Quote:
    but what I really wanted was infinite grapling hook range

This mod is just for increased, personally I think having an unlimited range is rather stupid and there are other modifications out there that already support that.

ello

Could you make another grappling mod that increases the grappling range for like 2 times the value it is now?

That’s actually what I’m looking for. If I want to get to the other side of the map I’ll use my Bering 130 B)

Pridit
    Participant

Enzoforce wrote:

Quote:
    Could you make another grappling mod that increases the grappling range for like 2 times the value it is now?

No, if you want the grapple to your own needs such as unlimited, increased, decreased or whatever your preference I advise you read a few tutorials on the forums and mod it yourself.

I made this modification very early after the game came out and the modding tools were introduced my first intentions were to create a simple yet useful modification so that I could contribute to the community instead of just seeming like another leecher who hasn’t given anything back to the community.

ello

Yeah, I understand.

phentex

Hi there,
    First, many thanks for this little mod. I’m sure it adds a lot of fun to the game. SOrry for sounding so noobish, but i really can’t get the damn game to run when the mod is installed (as you mentionned in the readme). the game’s process appears in the windows process dialog box a couple of seconds (around 17mb in RAM), then it just seems to close down. No gfx output on the screen whatsoever, no error popup of any kind, just plain silent. if I take out the 2 bin files from dropzone folder, the game runs with no trouble again.

I do run JC2 (not the steam version) with a cracked exe (before any flame come up : I bought the game, just can’t bare any of the damn DRMs & protections), so maybe this has to do with my problem. Any of you have JC2 with cracked exe & managing to run the game with this cute little mod ? (and i’m sure there are a bunch of people reading my message who have the same game setup I have, so please, no bullshit debate about piracy, it’s not my point, PLEASE).

Thx in advance for the help ! ;)

ps: apart from a “customized” exe file, the game data is vanilla. No other mod nor DLC stuff.

Pridit
    Participant

I’m not giving any support for cracked copies of the game. It must be the cracked copy that doesn’t support modifications and that’s why it’s crashing as I’ve had nothing like this from anyone else who legally owns the game and uses the mod.

Daniel

I want to mod this for myself, so that it reels in very slowly, which parameter should I adjust?

Thanks.

hahahaha

i dont know the exact value but its in grapplingparams.bin

Daniel

I figured that, but I couldnt find the right parameters…

hahahaha

after some testing i found it out

while parachuting: xxx
    normal: xxx
    i set the first to 300 and the other to 1, then para-sailing seemed to be working a bit after driving with the t20 on maximum speed and then enter into parachute mod and grapple to the boat.

Daniel

Thanks alot ;)!

Jake

Hey, the problem is you don’t have enough ram. I don’t either. :/

Renan Suzano

Good mod! Worked here first! Congratulations. I love this.

Really easy to setup, never seen a game as easily moddable before!

For me, for some reason, I can’t use parachute with the grapple out? What happened there? It’s been a while since I played (because there were too many issues that I now discover have been modded/repaired) so maybe I have the control sequence wrong?

Silly question and one google doesn’t answer… what are the button presses on a 360 controller to parahook?

I also have the superman suit installed, is there a conflict?

ConnorLBox

I’m a newbie to all of this so bear with me :P

I got another mod which mods the bering plane to have guns (its in the top 50), is it possible to have both of these at the same time?

If so, how?

Any advice is much appreciated,

thanks,

Connor

EDIT: Don’t worry i got it :)

AegisXOR

Hi. I wanted to customize my grappling hook (2+ km is way too far) but I didn’t know the values.

So, one quick notepad++ compare later, I found which values this mod changed and I’m going to figure out what they do. So far:

Code:
    grapplingparams.bin
    B55417AE – default 850 float – force applied to humans when pulled (vertical only?)
    320B8CD2 – default 50 float – tension of hook pull while parachuting
    537A05D4 – default 40 float – acceleration (NOT speed) of pulling to hooked surface
    72104687 – default 8100 float – Range of grappling hook, somehow. (Setting this lower refuses to pull you when your hook visibly connects, whereas setting it higher doesn’t appear to give you extra range)
    7A4EF581 – default 40 float – unknown

hahahaha

AegisXOR there are also settings changed in the weapons.bin file. Search for grappling hook.

Where do I find the Just Cause 2 Directory?

Pridit
    Participant
    Quote:
    Where do I find the Just Cause 2 Directory?

Should be something along the lines of:

Quote:
    C:->Program Files->Steam->steamapps->common->just cause 2

Replace -> with /

ok, i instaled on my game its running good, but every where a go and that i find a bazooka guy he give a powerful hit and explode all in a lange range around, its the mod or bug ????
    thx

Pridit
    Participant

Sounds to me like another modification, what others do you have?

Brodi

Link is downn :(

voxbox13
    voxbox13
    Participant

I just tested the link and it seems to be working for me.

Here’s the actual address, if it helps:

http://www.justcause2mods.com
    /mods/other/Gameplay/
    Increased-Grapple-Range–and–Speed/

http://www.justcause2mods.com/mods/other/Gameplay/Increased-Grapple-Range–and–Speed/

Eshymoriox

Is it possible to have the same configurations for the grapple with this mod but without changing the speed?
    I am looking to this but no result :/

Thank you in advance!

clark

is anyone else having this problem: I have a mod installed that increases the damage of the triggered explosives, and when this mod is installed, the grappling mod doesn’t work at all

voxbox13
    voxbox13
    Participant

cshortland wrote:

Quote:
    is anyone else having this problem: I have a mod installed that increases the damage of the triggered explosives, and when this mod is installed, the grappling mod doesn’t work at all

This sounds strange.
    Can you post a link to the specific triggered exp mod you’re using?

Zane

Since i installed this i get killed with 2 shots? Enemies to a massive amount of damage to me and allies. Is that normal?

EDIT: So apparently its not damage, it seems like all handgun bullets have been turned into explosives, i can actually kill myself by shooting to the ground next to me with the first handgun and the revolver bullets cause explosions.

CoconutFred

That’s not normal.

Are you using any other mods? If so, what mods?

Zane

none other than orange tron skin.

Edit: Just tried removing the skin and no change.

EDIT 2: Used steam to verify the game and it seems to be working fine now, sorry for any inconvenience.

voxbox13
    voxbox13
    Participant

cshortland wrote:

Quote:
    …I have a mod installed that increases the damage of the triggered explosives, and when this mod is installed, the grappling mod doesn’t work at all

Can you please post a link to the specific triggered exp mod you are using?

I want to make sure I test the correct mod.

Pridit
    Participant

This modification would never cause anything like explosions or anything to happen in-game that you weren’t expecting. This modification edits a few values to increase the range to allow you to grapple further and speed at which you travel whilst grappling.

Keep this in mind before posting something like this mod caused Y to explode and I died because of X. Chances are it’s a conflicting mod you have installed alongside this.

voxbox13
    voxbox13
    Participant

Zenas wrote:

Quote:

EDIT 2: Used steam to verify the game and it seems to be working fine now, sorry for any inconvenience.

Hey, no worries. Glad it’s working!

(I thought it might be 2 mods conflicting…. Often it’s possible to
    merge 2 different weapons.bin files to make them play well together.)

Ok so I’ve extracted it 92178412934 different times in the exact way that everyone here and the readme file is saying and it still will not work for me. Is it because my computer is recognizing it as a VLC media file?

zaK1946

Hi, i have some problem. When i try to grapple more than the normally with this mod, nothing happens. I have installed it in dropzone, without any other mods. Grapple seems like fly to the other side and dissapear :/ Can someone help me?:C

Pridit
    Participant

MaestroMoseph wrote:

Quote:
    Ok so I’ve extracted it 92178412934 different times in the exact way that everyone here and the readme file is saying and it still will not work for me. Is it because my computer is recognizing it as a VLC media file?

No, mine also recognizes it as a VLC media file. Are other mods working for you? Did you ensure you have the correct spelling of the dropzone folder? Do you have any other mods that may be conflicting with it?

zaK1946 wrote:

Quote:
    Hi, i have some problem. When i try to grapple more than the normally with this mod, nothing happens. I have installed it in dropzone, without any other mods. Grapple seems like fly to the other side and dissapear :/ Can someone help me?:C

You must be grappling too far, this modification does extend it but as I’ve said before don’t expect to go any ridiculous lengths such as from land to an oil rig.

If you want that there’s plenty of other modifications available. I just created this because I wanted to extend the reach a bit and speed it up without feeling like I’ve overextended it or somehow caused an imbalance.

Brandon Hall

what do i do if i already have another mod that uses a file named weapons.bin in my dropzone folder? i mean it wont let me place to files with the same name in that folder will it? is there a way around this?

Capo
    Capo
    Participant

thabrandonhall wrote:

Quote:
    what do i do if i already have another mod that uses a file named weapons.bin in my dropzone folder? i mean it wont let me place to files with the same name in that folder will it? is there a way around this?

Yes,

There is a way around this, if your .bin wont blend properly.

Here is a link to a thread which they talk about combining .bin, look carefuly there also is a brief tutorial which will guide you.

http://www.justcause2mods.com/forum.html?func=view&id=10892&catid=21#10892

Hope all is well and this works out for you.

Joseph

Hello I`ve tried this mod and it does`nt seem to work. I’m not able go further than about 50 meters. Not trying anything ridiculous like go to oil rigs or very very far away places either. I`ve tried say grappling to a hill that`s maybe 500 meters to 1 km maybe not even that far. Mods im using are zxz`s blackmarket with it`s free blackmarket DLC as in free from the blackmarket, HD Clouds, Rico replaced with Kane newest, Quapaw turned into a Hind gunship, My quiet Rico mod, Heatspawn mod, bullet time mod, Bering I-86DP with weapons mounted machine gun and auto turret I believe, some mod change`s it where`s it`s not alway`s night at the MHC. Thank`s

TheWrath
    TheWrath
    Participant

wow thats alot of mods lol…for the bullet time mod…included in those files is there something called a weapons.bin file?

The Wrath
    VGM Manager-No Man's Sky

kornman00

According to Gib’s docs on load order, the ‘dropzone’ folder is loaded BEFORE the DLC folder is. So if you have DLC (I have them all), chances are the property files contained within them are superseding the dropzone files, hence why this isn’t working for some people (including me).

Joseph

Nope. Just .dds texture files. I also own all DLC so that might be a issue then. Thank`s for the responses.

Shane Gill

When i grapple in the sky the line gets stuck there until I grapple again. Small “bug”but would be awesome to have it gone :P

Capo
    Capo
    Participant

InsayneShane wrote:

Quote:
    When i grapple in the sky the line gets stuck there until I grapple again. Small “bug”but would be awesome to have it gone :P

Yes,

I get this aswell but it’s only when i miss the target i’m grappling to.

Quote:
    line gets stuck there until I grapple again

Which is a good thing so it doesn’t stay there.

Pridit
    Participant

InsayneShane wrote:

Quote:

I don’t think this is possible, the whole reason it does that is because it’s actually travelling. It’s what the grappling hook was coded to do, so if you miss your target or try to grapple out of its reach it will still travel its maximum distance before retracting.

As this has been extended quite a bit it looks like a bug but in actuality it’s just travelling so if you just wait it will come back to you which is why when you grapple elswhere successfully it disappears almost immediately.

Even when I place both files in the dropzone folder, the grappling hook range and speed remain unchanged. I have tried removing my other mods, but with no effect.

CoconutFred

Do your other mods work? If so, there shouldn’t be any problem.

The other mods work. I have tried re-installing the mod, but it didn’t work.

CoconutFred

Do you have any other mods (don’t check only in your dropzone folder, but also in your archives_win32 folder) that might conflict with this mod? In other words, do you have any other mods that modify weapons.bin or grapplingparams.bin?

If not, then for the life of me I can’t explain your case.

Pridit
    Participant

The only thing I can think of is that it’s conflicting with another mod you may have and so is overwriting any changes this mod makes. Make sure you definetly don’t have any other mods that may conflict with it.

Jonathan

One question: Are there any Xbox mods on this website?
    Please reply back… thanks

voxbox13
    voxbox13
    Participant

WhoozYoDaddi wrote:

Quote:
    One question: Are there any Xbox mods on this website?
    Please reply back… thanks

For jtag only. Not very supported here.
    http://www.justcause2mods.com/forum.html?func=view&catid=19&id=1546#1546

If you have even a half-decent PC, try downloading the demo.
    PC version is many times easier to mod, with many more mods available.

If you can run it on low low low settings, it should still look as good as 360 version.
    Several people here have tried this, and were surprised that their computers can run it.

Good luck!

CoconutFred

Yeah, Avalanche Engine 2.0 is one of the best optimized engines I’ve ever seen, much better than the sluggish GTA 4 engine. I’m able to run JC2 on near-max settings at a medium resolution with my 5 year old GPU.

alexx

Is this for xbox 360 console if so can someone anyone show me how to get it to my xbox? I would love to find out how… I been looking around and still cannot find a tutorial for this. Please comment back.

CoconutFred

I’m not sure of the specifics since I don’t have an xbox 360 myself, but I believe you need a JTagged Xbox 360 and Xexmenu. You have to use your computer to download the mods and move them to your xbox HDD or an external storage device. I’m not sure exactly how the process goes, though. You can find out more here:

http://justcause2mods.com/forum.html?func=view&catid=19&id=1546

However, I WOULD seriously recommend just getting a PC to play JC2. The mods are incredibly easy to download and install, plus if you continue to play JC2 on xbox, you’ll miss out on JC2-MP (the multiplayer mod), which is getting to be huge. The game’s only like $15 on steam, so it’s not like you’ll be busting the bank to get it (most new computers should be able to run JC2 on medium settings, so don’t worry about unplayability).

Jared
    JC24Ever wrote:
    Is this for xbox 360 console if so can someone anyone show me how to get it to my xbox? I would love to find out how… I been looking around and still cannot find a tutorial for this. Please comment back.

Mods are for the PC only. I can’t believe it’s 2013, the eve of a new console generation, and there are still people asking if the mods will work on their consoles. Listen, unless you have a hacked (JTagged) Xbox 360, these mods are out of your reach.

ginrikuzuma

I can’t seem to parachute anymore after a while. I tried saving and quitting the game but that didn’t help.

edit: nvm the bug is unrelated to the mod and I found an .exe file that fixed the problem

Chase

When I grapple in the sky it takes like 3 minutes for the grapple to reel in. I tried grappling the ground and that wouldn’t work, attempted calling an air drop, pausing also has no effect. The only other thing I have downloaded is the civilian AI mod and the unlock everything mod. Nothing was overwritten.

Maciek

Faster grapple and stronger hook punch works. :)
    But there is still normal grapple range. :(
    Why? :huh:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.