How to mod vehicles (textures, engine, etc)

Just Cause 2 Mods Forums Tutorials How to mod vehicles (textures, engine, etc)

Viewing 55 reply threads
  • Author
      fox

This tutorial will show you how to mod vehicles. From textures, to engine & part editing.

I have taken some info from a wiki. I wrote a bit of this stuff, so no worries. I will be updating this often, so check back every weeks or so.

You will need Gibbed’s mod tools for this.
      http://mod.gib.me/justcause2/tools/
      Download the “bin-revXX” files (not the parachute fix).

How to get vehicle files

To get the vehicle files to mod them, you have to open PC0 or PC1 .tab files with gibbed’s archive viewer.
      capturexol.png
      You find them under exported – vehicles. Remember to get .eez files, and not the .ee files.

Due to a bug when Just Cause 2 was built for release, .ee files were included along with .eez files. Just Cause 2 will always check for an .eez file first, since every object has an .eez file, you need to override the .eez file. .eez files do not have to be compressed for the game to read them.

How to unpack and pack vehicle files with Gibbed’s Tools

Step 1. Use Gibbed’s Archive Viewer

Step 2. Find the vehicle you want. It is usually under exported -> vehicles. Arve folder contains air vehicles.. Lave contains land vehicles.. and Seve contains sea vehicles. You can find these in PC0 or PC1 arcs.

Step 3. Save the selected vehicle to your modding folder (wherever you want). As far as I know, you can save the .ee or the .eez file and get the same results when modded.

Step 4. Run the .ee or .eez through Gibbed’s Small UnPack tool. This will create a folder of the contents of that .eez folder. You will find collision files (.col (?)), model files (RBM), texture files (.dds) and vehicle doll files (.vdoll (you can use these to change vehicle settings))

Step 5. When done changing files, use Gibbed’s Small Pack tool. Drag the folder to the .exe. It will then create a .sarc file. Change the extension to .eez.

Step 6. Place in dropzone and enjoy!

How to edit textures

Assuming you know how to edit images, and have a program that can edit .dds files, (photoshop, gimp, paint.net see DirectDraw Surface)

Step 1. Unpack the vehicle file. (see above How-To)

Step 2. Look inside the folder created for any .dds file. the XXX_dif.dds files are the ones for the “color” textures. The mpm.dds file decides where random colors and set colors and decals are applied as far as I (Prof_Farnsworth) have found. Blue seems to be chosen from the vehicle paint database, whereas pink seems to be a set color or decal. For more info on MPM files check the posts below the original post.

You do not need to overwrite the entire .mIt appears you have to edit them the same way you did the XXX_dif.dds file.

Step 3. Once done, replace with the original (overwrite) and then run the folder through small pack.

Step 4. Change the extension from .sarc to .eez and put it in your dropzone. It should work!

ABOUT .dds FILES

DDS or DirectDraw Surface is a way of storing textures. It is a common format that is used in games including Just Cause 2. Just Cause 2 natively uses DXT1 as the compression format but any can be used in the game

DDS files can be used natively in Paint.NET or in Photoshop or in GIMP with Plugins (I prefer Paint.net.. it’s pretty simple, so get it if you want to edit textures and don’t have photoshop or GIMP (gimp is free, and so is paint.net)

ABOUT .vdoll/.mvdoll FILES

MVDOLL/VDOLL files are .bin files that contain vehicle config information. This includes weapon info, engine info, part info, and other modules (such as boat modules). Use bin2xml from gibbed’s tools to turn the vdoll file into a .xml, and xml2bin to turn the xml back to Vdoll.

Vehicle Engine Module Information:

NOTE: This seems to be for air vehicles only. Use specific car info below.

ID Type Purpose
      1AD460F8 float Not Known
      28A5D089 float Not Known
      2936B4B4 float Not Known
      BD6148C1 float Not Known, Value limited 0 – 1
      D40D6067 float Handling modifier of a sort
      EC5A5E47 float Not Known
      F3E36D12 string Speed
      _class string Note1
      _name string Not Known

(in other words, the last value is speed, the ID varies from vehicle to vehicle, but they all do what is said above)

Specific Module Info:
      Land Vehicles

Special Engine Data

ID Type Purpose
      F3E36D12 string Not Known
      _class string Note1
      _name string Not Known
      clutchsliprpm float Not Known
      downshift_rpm float Note3
      resistance_max float Not Known
      resistance_min float Not Known
      resistance_opt float Not Known
      rpm_max float Maximum RPM ( Red line RPM ? )
      rpm_min float Minimum RPM ( Idle RPM ? )
      rpm_opt float Optimum RPM ( Usually for fuel efficiency )
      rpm_powerband int Efficiency RPM Note2
      torque_min float Minimum Torque ( Measured in ? )
      torque_max float Maximum Torque ( Measured in ? )
      torque_opt float Optimum torque ( Measured in ? )
      upshit_rpm float Note3

RPM Power band and RPM Optimum seem to be the same thing, except something has to be different. If rpm_opt stands for something else, please feel free to change it.

Transmission Data

ID Type Purpose
      0739740B float Not Known
      7976EB47 float Not Known
      975655BC float Not Known
      97D6CC7A int Number of gears
      C9D728C string Something to do with the gearing
      DD70F454 float Not Known
      EB6B03D2 float Not Known
      F3E36D12 string Not Known
      _class string Note1
      _name string Not Known

Boats:

Propeller Info, use to make the boat faster etc, is pretty straightforward. It will be in Cboatenginemodule entry. Acceleration is acceleration, and max acceleration can be used to make the boat go as fast or as slow as you want.

There is also things like buoyancy.. stuff like that is fairly easy to find, so just look through the file. Most things are fairly descriptive. (no more random names, like F3E613D).

Shared & “Known” values:

Damage info is shared, it’s fairly straightforward.

For other module information that has named values (e.g. RPM_max)
      http://www.justcause2mods.com/index.php/forum?func=view&catid=21&id=861#861

Notes:
      Note1: This value is used in MANY locations throughout the vdoll/mvdoll. It seems to point to what the specific values are modifying, as in the specific part of the vehicle. In this case, they’re modifying ‘CHelicopterEngineModule’ for air vehicles, ‘CCarEngineModule’ for land vehicles, ‘CCarTransmissionModule’ for land vehicle transmission.
      Note2: Power band definition – range of operating speeds under which the engine is able to operate efficiently.
      Note3:Upshift/Downshift RPM seems to specify the number of gears as well as the RPMs. For example, downshift will list 5 values, ‘800,900,1000,1200,1400’. These are the 5 downshifts for all the gears. It has 6 gears in total ( I think ). Then for upshift it has the RPM to shift upwards, ‘2300,2000,1800,1900,2200’. This isn’t 100% sure, but it seems that way.

Some of this stuff is taken from the wiki. If you guys are unhappy about this, please tell me. I wrote most of the thread, except for the land vehicle part.
      The wiki is under Public Domain..

Hope I helped.

Prof_Farnsworth for MPM info
      JC2 wiki editors

Steven

Thank you SOOO much for this! I’ve been wanting to mod the stats on certain things.

fox

Added some stuff and made it easier to read..

Hubert

The mpm.dds file decides where random colors and set colors and decals are applied as far as I have found. Blue seems to be chosen from the vehicle paint database, whereas pink seems to be a set color or decal.

You do not need to overwrite the entire .mpm with your texture, else it will darken the texture, only the pink portions need to be overridden.

This is for vehicles with only one dif.dds file. Multiple dif files (i.e. sedan) I have not gotten to work properly yet. Sometimes they show, other times they don’t.

JustCause2_2010-04-06_16-43-32-18_sm.jpg

Ex. In this image, I painted over the decal in the mpm.dds with the same pink that is used, then only showed the layers which covered the pink portions, and saved that as the mpm.dds. The dif.dds is saved with all layers (textures) shown.

I can upload a couple of images of the difference on the leaves if anyone would like. The red leaves on the bottom of the plane (cannot be seen well in this image) were almost brown when both layers were saved. The flag and color are still dark though, I am trying to fix that now.

Aaron

hey friend , i need a hand , you kno quite a bit about this stuff. when i paint over a dds file , say i put a bright blue all over the teaxure.so when i go in game the blue is dark and i can hardly see it ? help please

Hubert

Yeah, I have the same problem as you can see, the flag and red color is very dark. Should be light red, not blood red.

Anyway, to fix it, open the mpm.dds, and color all the pink parts the same color blue as the rest. This will brighten your texture. However, removing all the little lines and imperfections will make your color look very “clean” and different from the rest of the vehicle.

I recommend the eyedropper and clone stamp for coloring and detailing.

After you’ve colored the entire mpm blue, save that as the mpm.dds with no textures over it, just the original colored all blue. Compress, rename, and move.

Aaron

thanks , any problems and ill say B)oh and i think my easist way of doing it was hue and saturation .

Aaron

so this is what i hav made, Can i post the .eez file on the forums? so they can put it on their dropbox tank0.jpg

H1Vltg3

I found a better way to keep the detail in the pink parts is to use selective color to remove all magenta, then select red and modify the detail to a dark blue or black, then go back to magenta and adjust till it matches the rest of the blue. this keeps all or most of the detail in the texture.

Hubert

Good tip, thanks man.

jason

I would love to start skinning and modding vehicles, mainly land vehicles right now.
      but I have a little problem, or a big one infact.

there is no Land vehicles in my archives/exported?

I open up either archive and I have

vehicles/
      arve
      seve

no lave anywhere.

they are in exported directories right?
      I have looked everywhere.

Help!, lol

pc0.jpg

fox

that’s odd lol. I have a lave file and lave.v002_sedan.eez inside it.. Check PC1 and tell me if there is anything there.

jason

nope, same exact thing, the exported directory, with only arve and seve.

Hubert

The rest of the vehicles are in pc1.arc.:P

jason

well, here’s my pc1.arc file tree.

as you can see, the same as my pc0 file tree.

the exported folder, with the directories
      arve and seve under it.

no lave folder anywhere, in any directories. pc1.jpg

Hubert

Weird problem. You may need to get gibbed’s tools again or something because lave should be there.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help.

fox

that’s really odd. Are you running a legit version of JC2?

Rozzatron

Check all the .arc files for the missing vehicles, how many are in the unknown list?
      If not you could reinstall jc2.

curtis

thanks a very helpfull tutorial :silly:

fox

that emoticon.. oh wow

I modded tuktuk car make fast & heavy easy push any vehicle but can’t go fast & push, still slow & heavy than normal, like GTA4 easy modding fast & heavy.

Alexandre

Hm, any way to know which file is which car? as example if I want to mod the Garret Traver-Z, which file will it be from the couple of sport cars available?

Perry

How to read and edit that doll files?
      I can open it with notepad, but i am getting some strange symbols…

small unpack keeps not responding :

Perry

Make sure you dragged the file to the small unpacker.

Inacio

Did anyone find the max speed variable on the Agency jet?

BATC42

I don’t know if it is the right place to post but I was looking into modding agency vehicle. So I’ve test several vehicles and here are the file for three of the agency vehicles :
      – Garret Traver Z : v024 (found in the wiki)
      – Hedge Wildchild : v022
      – Poloma Renegade : v023

FrIzErIs

Is it posible to make cars for JC2 like BMW, Mercedess, Dodge? Or you can only reskin existing ones?

Inacio

For now, you can only reskin.

Kurtis

Sweet thanks a heap, prepare to see my hideous designs on the Database!

Tony

can some1 help me i need to learn how to make planes fly faster :cheese:

cj

Can someone tell me what you need to do to get photoshop to open the files it say it can’t open it?

fox

download photoshop dds plugins, as I said on the first post

cj

Well it don’t work I installed it every time photoshop says it can open.

Edit= Never mind I see why it wont work thanks.

hahahaha

sorry but the values on the first site are wrong… why should speed be a string? torque_opt= speed. rpm=acceleration. rpm upshift and downshift is cleary i think. torque max and min are not necessary to edit.

fox

I didn’t write that part. Perhaps you could re-make it and post it here?

joshua

I Try to Edit 024 sport car and make a fresh Porsche

Colin G

I have gotten the vehicle file I need (The one for personal_propellerplane) but for some reason, whenever I open Gibbed.Avalance.smallunpack, it flashes a little command prompt box and then disappears.

I’m probably forgetting something basic here, but on the off chance I’m not, what do I do?

hahahaha

drag and drop the eez file onto smallunpack

taiiat

for a reason unknown to myself, whenever i try to use xml2bin to recompile the binary file it crashes, and does not create an outputted file.
      am i misusing the file? i tell xml2bin to use the xml file by dragging the xml file to it – which is how it is supposed to be used so i’ve no idea what could be wrong.

Gawl

You got some part of the code wrong.

The and stuff like it has to be unbroken.

Boban
      Participant

hello! i need help…what am i doing wrong?
      let me explain like this :
      i want to mod the textures of a jumbojet :
      the file v114_arve_jumbojet_dif is originally like this http://i60.servimg.com/u/f60/14/50/92/33/th/v114_a10.jpg%5B/img%5D

ok,now i hav edited that file to look like this(only changed the logo) http://i60.servimg.com/u/f60/14/50/92/33/th/v114_a11.jpg%5B/img%5D

now,the file v114_arve_jumbojet_mpm is originally like this http://i60.servimg.com/u/f60/14/50/92/33/th/v114_a12.jpg%5B/img%5D

ok,now i hav edited that file to look like this(changed the pink into blue,added the logo)http://i60.servimg.com/u/f60/14/50/92/33/th/v114_a13.jpg%5B/img%5D

and the v114_arve_jumbojet_nrm dile i did not touch…

what am i doing wrong,pls tell me? :(

hmmm
      i have a problem
      when i open up small unpack folder just a black window pops out and closes :(
      what should i do then
      (sorry for my english)

Johnny

You have to DRAG your file into small unpack. Not open smallunpack. then the cmd window create a new folder and in the folder is your unpacked file :P (sry fpr my bad english too xD im from germany)

Retard

I’m a little confused, What do I edit to change the speed/acceleration of a LAND Vehicle?

Gil Jensen

Ok, I’ve gotten down to be able to edit the VDOLL, but how do I now that I got the right vehicle that I want to mod? Is there a list that exists that is like a reference key?

Victor

my favorite aircraft I’ve done, but a taxi that the car somehow I can not, open up inside I DDS’m doing, but the game open when the car is, but the car is off does not, however panua taxi writes, what should I do, at one smallpack when I say uh, but instead sarc stage for what is supposed to do

Victor

Would you please write a bit more descriptive, do not write them here, for example, make the sedan taxis. Below friend aircraft made but the taxi the car, somehow I can not, open up inside I DDS’m doing, but the game open when the car is, but the car is off does not, however panua taxi writes, what should I do, at one smallpack when I say uh, but instead sarc stage for what is supposed to do

Geertje

what values do i need to change to upgrade speed and stuff like that?

Gob Bluth

bin2xml keeps crashing when i try to convert .mvdoll to .xml

Help?

ac1997

Heey its really helpful tut as I can find and change values BUT i dont know how to tell which one to change

eg i wanted to make speedplane unbreakable so i found explosion/metal/bullet armor value and changed it but ddnt work :/

PLZ can you be more specific i RLY want to be able to mod this game (and i hope helps me mod others too :) )

ac1997

try redownloading the whole thing from the link on top of the tut (if it works thumbs up so they can see it :) )

How do you put weapons on cars planes boats etc. I want to put some rocket launchers and miniguns on the milatry boat (its the amen I think) I know there is guns on it already but i want to be able to fire them while im driving the boat and not having to goto stunt jump then push “w” or “s” so i want to put some heavy firepower on it :cheer: fox please reply and I love your mods btw there cool

voxbox13voxbox13
      Participant

cBurnett1404 wrote:

Quote:
      How do you put weapons on cars planes boats etc. I want to put some rocket launchers and miniguns on the milatry boat (its the amen I think) I know there is guns on it already but i want to be able to fire them while im driving the boat and not having to goto stunt jump then push “w” or “s” so i want to put some heavy firepower on it :cheer: fox please reply and I love your mods btw there cool

Take a look at this thread. This is how I learned to do it.
      Mounting Weapons on Vehicles
      http://www.justcause2mods.com/forum.html?func=view&catid=16&id=3164&limit=20#3191

Read it. Study it. 95% of what you need to know is in that thread.

Then… if you have specific questions, let me know.
      But please post them in the “Mounting Weapons on Vehicles” Thread.

voxbox13voxbox13
      Participant

BUMPED – Multiple Requests in the Chat Box for info on this.

Guyz how I make a boat faster??I know I need to edit the mvdoll or the vdoll and I converted them to xml,but I don’t know the id!!!!I looked on Wikipedia hours and nothing happens when I search in xml file!pls help!! B)

Viewing 55 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.