First person view – Land Vehicles v2.1

Just Cause 2 Mods Forums Modifications First person view – Land Vehicles v2.1

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author
      jason

Alright guys here’s version 1.0 of the first person land vehicles mod.
      This allows first person view in all land vehicles.

I will be working on making this work with sea and air vehicles as well, there’s just different values and different camera I have to work on for those vehicles.

This mod places the camera on the roof of the vehicles, I found that at this point this is the best solution.

I suggest that if you want the first person view to stay constant then you should also use the no stunt camera mod.

Please post any bugs and or glitches that you find in this thread, as well as any suggestions.

Thanks, Have fun.

NOW 2.0
      Added the ability to toggle between first person and third person in all Land vehicles.
      Still having problems with crosshair movements so Tank is still set to default third person view at all times, and the ability to aim up/down on ATV, and motorcycles still not available. Change views by hitting the C key, or whatever key you have bind for reverse camera.

Update: 2.1

Fixed the bug that didn’t allow you to rotate around the vehicle while in third person mode. Its a little glitchy when rotating to far down the view will kick back to default center but I think thats about all I can do to fix it.

At this point right now I am not sure that moving the camera to the inside (cockpit) of the vehicle is possible, as when the camera is inside the vehicle it collides with the vehicle and glitches out and pops back to the roof. but I am still trying to work around it somehow, i will keep you all informed.

UPDATE ON PROGRESS:
      Ok guys, after the last few days of working on this mod I have come to a conclusion. I have been able to place the camera above the steering wheel inside of the vehicle. There are of course many issues that come along with doing this.
      1. THE CAMERA. has to be “stuck” meaning no rotating or looking left, right. this is due to the fact that we not only have clipping, but the cameras are set up to move based on bumps, turning, going up down hills, ect. So, if the camera is not “glued” to a spot, it jumps and moves randomly based on what the car is doing.
      2. THE LOOK. i can tell you now, and i will post screens soon for those that have no idea what im talking about that the game was never designed to be seen through a dark tinted, half reflective, glare producing window. as well as you really don’t need to see how bad the interior textures are on the cars, ugh.
      This being said, I will post a couple screens to show everyone what I am talking about. as soon as I can. Also, since I have recently realized that you can not rotate the camera inside choppers I may be able to put the camera in the cockpit and actually have it work well for the choppers, so I will look into that.

http://www.justcause2mods.com/index.php/mods/other/Gameplay/First-Person—Land-Vehicles/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8nqj8WhZaE

spyloops

it s a very nice job i love the idea of a first person view..

now tell me if you think it s possible to have the camera a little bit more close from the ground because on video that s look a little bit to high and maybe not, but tell me if it s possible to see the cockpit like in the gta4 mod

http://www.gtagaming.com/images/mods/1245649423_FP03s.jpg

another question, you think it s possible to bind a key to change the view from first person to the normal one ?

ZeninZenin
      Keymaster

you should fix the parachute and skydiving views too, but in a seperate mod

jason

right now the camera is on the roof because the inside of cars are not modeled, and truly we don’t even know if the windows in them are actually see through, that could just be a visual trick.

Also the view would be what like 70 percent blocked by the car? and do to the fact that you can rotate the camera, a full 360 i just don’t think it will work all that well man.

I will be trying to get the camera maybe to the front bumper, but realize in the video I do drive a bus at one point and yes, the camera is high, but that’s how it should be, realistic. not the same height for each vehicle.

As for adjusting views with the press of a button, that’s something that needs a patch to be able to do, as a trainer or something because there’s no way to just bind keys to change .bin files in real time. that’s a cheatengine, bolopatch kind of memory hack thing.

remember, this is a work in progress.

Ceano

Is it possible to move the camera a bit further back, so you get a hood view?

jason

i am not sure how that will work with longer vehicles, it may block view. get in a tuk tuk and see how you can already see the roof? if you get into something longer it may hinder view.

And to answer your question, yes. truly, its possible to put the camera anywhere in the world.

as of right now I’m assuming i have the camera centered directly above the vehicle on the roof. I am not positive though, it would be nice if i could see it, lol.

Josh

I agree a hood view would be ideal. The way it is now the user has no visual cue to which direction the car is facing if they start panning the reticule around. I know if wouldn’t work so great with vehicles that have no hood area, but I really wouldn’t want a first person view in say a bus or tuk tuk, just sports cars, monster truck, military jeeps, etc.

jason

firstly, there are not camera settings for each vehicle, so you have hood view, cockpit view for one, you have them for all.

secondly, I’m not sure how the game has been designed right now.
      when developers,modelers, animators design for a game they design for what your going to see. they never meant for us to see the cockpit or the game from that view.

therefore we are not sure rico even turns the steering wheel when the car actually turns. also as i stated in the comments, all the windows in the game are tinted meaning if your in the cockpit your going to be seeing darker game. and when I figure out the coordinates for that position then i will take a look and see, but who’s to even know that the windows are actually see through from the “other side” it could be a visual effect and not even real.

Josh

Right which is exactly why I said a Hood view, not a cockpit view. I could care less about the view being inside the car. I just want some visual reference so I know which direction my vehicles is facing. I understand that this “will not work” with buses and such, but it could work very well for sports cars/jeeps and anything with a regular car shape.

My point is that if it was from a hood view, you would just have to note that this will not work with bus shaped vehicles.

Actually, all the cars are modeled in the cockpit, it’s extremely low res, but it’s there. And Rico does turn the wheel. Whether he does this only in open cockpit cars I’m not sure, but you can see him do it.

…That may have sounded a little D-baggy, sorry if I came off that way, only trying to help the modding scene. :)

jason

Yea I’m working on adjusting it right now, it’s not easy finding the correct values since each camera has about 4/5 different vectors for coordinates. but I’m seeing what I can do.

Stay tuned.

spyloops

First, Very nice work!! and thx to do a mod like this …

in game when you press the “C” key you can see the front of your vehicule.
      So it s Maybe possible to set the first person view camera when you press this key and keep the normal outside camera by default !! so like this you can switch the view… ;)

jason

mayyyybe. I just finally figured out 2 major things.

1. what vector controls camera position, and what vector controls crosshair position. (I was having trouble figuring out what vectors did what.

2. I finally figured out that the game uses x,z,y meaning y is up not z.

so now that i know what values effect what, things are moving faster.
      it seems that i will actually have to move the crosshair look to a negative value.
      as of right now i have the camera positioned on the handlebars of the ATV but the camera is looking at rico’s face. lol.

And the idea i have that may make this bind normal view to C idea is that their are values for camera reverse. so, taking that into consideration, if I set those values to the default camera values, then it could just work. :)

jason

Alright!!!

Good news.
      It is possible to bind the C key to revert back to the regular view, so first person view and third person view can be switched on the fly. :)

as soon as I can get the values perfected on the ATV then I will release an update.
      It will be for the ATV only at this point but I have to work on one vehicle at a time being that they are all different sizes the camera positions will be different for each one.

ZeninZenin
      Keymaster

tool2heal, if you fix car handling for all cars in the game then this will be the ultimate must have mod!

spyloops

Goood news tool2heal !! and good job, can t wait

spyloops

i try the v2 and it s good , but it s sad than we can t move the camera around the vehicule like in the default view can you fix it ?

jason

Working on that now, yes. i already have it working. you can now rotate the camera again while in third person view.
      It’s a little glitchy right now though.

spyloops

Perfect :cheese:

it also might be possible to write some very small code that would allow you to move the camera using a diffrent set of controls that when you press a button it allows you to move the cam freely. but what the heck, what do i know about code, great job so far on this mod, i love it.

spyloops

can t wait for air and water vehicule :P

spyloops

i try your last version it s very good.

when for air and water ???

jason

not all that positive things are going to work as well for sea and air im afraid. ):

why, whats wrong now?

jason

due to the size of the choppers, placing the cameras on the top/roofs of them wont work well because you will have to be flying at crazy angles to see the ground, im working on it though see what i can come up with.

Whitestar

In Just Cause I think the fp-camera was placed in front of the window on the choppers. Maybe that is possible in JC2 as well?

Btw, is it possible to make a first person camera for Rico as well? When he is on foot I mean.

jason

yes it is possible to have first person for rico as well. Hopefully someone else may handle that task as for right now I’m so sick of editing Coordinates for the car mod I really don’t feel like doing it.

If anyone needs any info on what values do what though I shall explain.
      cause there’s a few unknown in the cameras that i had to figure out in order to get things working.

As for placing the camera in other spots on the air vehicles, especially choppers. the placement of cameras directly coincides with the placement of the crosshair that being said. if the camera is pointed directly out from the front window/cockpit. then so is the crosshair.
      think of it this way. there’s a camera, and there’s where the camera looks (the crosshair)

secondly. in order to get the camera close to the vehicle. the camera collision has to be turned off. meaning when you feel the need to rotate the view the camera will go right through things. which sucks because things start getting in your view. ie. the chopper your flying/rico/buildings/trees.

Whitestar

tool2heal wrote:

Quote:
      If anyone needs any info on what values do what though I shall explain.
      cause there’s a few unknown in the cameras that i had to figure out in order to get things working.

Yes, it would be quite helpful if you shared what you have found out. Maybe a small tutorial with commented code in the Tutorials section? Appreciate all your work. :)

Kaerar

Anyone know the amount of polies of the cars? I think the Flat Out 2 cars with full damage would be a fantastic addition/replacement of the stock cars (well some at least). Also they have many skins and editing them is easy with zmodeler. I wonder if that will get a JC2 plugin for editing purposes…

Thing is the FO2 cars are about 4000 per car on average and they look a ton more detailed than the cars in JC2, yet at the same time less detailed (number of polies I think). There are some cars that look really good and other that look pretty bad (taxi’s…). Would love to start converting them to JC2, hell we have all cars from NFS too…

kaii

He hasn’t been online for ages but if anyone wants to fix the Hovercraft and Monstertruck so they have a 3rd person view instead of a reverse view, simply open the camera_settings.bin, find their objects (its easy, they are just the last 2 objects, 91 and 92) and add the following 3 lines to each one (anywhere within the ):

How to do that I am not going to explain, will take too long and there is plenty of material on that, but I might upload a fix when I have time. Will also be including it in my First Person Superman Flying Mod soon.

EDIT: Done it. Click here. Done for first person flying mod too.

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.