First Person mod, “JC2FPS” – Entire game

Just Cause 2 Mods Forums Modifications First Person mod, “JC2FPS” – Entire game

This topic contains 99 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by  demon4511 5 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

kaii

v3.0 is out! May still have a few bugs, as testing 80 cameras is not a one man job. But it is running extremely smoothly. Please report any bugs here.

Download

Video with convenient timestamps.

Click to join the Steam group.

Comments, questions, requests, suggestions, feedback, opinions, blah blah blah all goes here. I’ll try to get back to you when I can. Now it is time to return to my real life.

Update History

v1.1 – 3rd Mar ’11
    -Choppers made easier to control.
    -Dusty/Snowy footsteps in clear mode gone.

v1.2 – 7th Mar ’11
    1.Introduced first person ragdoll camera.
    2.Reeling from wall now keeps camera focussed where you are reeling to.
    3.Other reeling cameras tweaked.
    4.Flying camera in superman-clear mode now stays between Rico’s arms when you have a weapon equipped (at the sacrifice of having the weapon flowing by his side when standing still).
    5.Crouch camera no longer faces north automatically + general tweaks.
    6.Crouch camera now doesn’t make Rico invisible in Block mode.
    7.Diving camera now doesn’t make Rico invisible in Block mode.
    8.Zoom camera makes Rico invisible in Block mode so he doesn’t get in the way.
    9.Getting into trucks and choppers now smoother (still working on other cameras).
    10.Added some optional extras to the archive (see list below).
    ~~~and other minor tweaks…

v2.0 – 10th Apr ’11
    1.Provided a second option for first person vehicles:
    entirely revamped every vehicle camera to be outside
    the vehicle glass (with 1 or 2 minor exceptions). Now
    you can choose either/or.
    2.Included “First Person Vehicles Only” mods to the
    archive – both versions.
    3.Stopped the on-foot camera from subtly “jumping” in the
    clear version as you turn. Was not overly noticable but
    if you install a previous version and turn the camera,
    you will see it jump, rather than smoothly change angle.
    This adds to smoothness but introduces a bug where the
    camera faces north when Rico lands from reeling.
    4.Zoom camera makes Rico invisible in both versions so
    he doesn’t get in the way (forgot to actually include
    this in the previous mod…)
    5.Removed the falsely advertised “increased environmental
    sounds” mod in the extras section. Turns out it was just
    my sound card’s volume equalization achieving the effect,
    while the mod does nothing. Will work on that in the
    future. Apologies!

v2.1 – 25th May ’11
    1. Fixed the reeled-in to wall camera (will stay by Rico’s
    head now, instead of jumping below his legs when the camera
    is turned).
    2. Fixed the crouch camera in some of the versions.
    3. Fixed the bug that screws up the camera when you grapple to
    the roof of a moving vehicle in the “vehicles-only” versions.
    4. Sorted out the third person tank cameras so you can use the
    turret more effectively.
    5. Added an experimental “No More North” camera (see inside for details).

v3.0 – 13th July ’11
    1. Fixed issue with the parachute camera in the “Normal” versions.
    Camera now identical to Prof_Farnsworth’s first person Parachuting
    mod.
    2. Crosshair now visible while flying in “Superman” versions, so you
    can aim and grapple properly.
    3. Revolutionary new “3rd-person stunt cameras” version now included
    for testing. For every normal version, you can now change the mod
    so that all stunt cameras in game are in 3rd person, for those of
    you who like to watch Rico ride the wings of planes and dangle from
    the bonnets of moving cars! Thanks to popular demand.

Optional Extras list (all included for you to install if you wish):

1. No strippers mod (more child friendly).
    2. Realistic stars mod.
    3. Slower flying for slow parachute in superman version.
    4. Option to mute footsteps.
    5. Slower running speed combined with slightly faster sprinting speed for those that like to be able to walk while they explore.

Please ask if you want me to combine this mod with others.

Looking forward to your comments!

Looking for translators for the instructions! If you want to help, send me a private message.

Diego

This looks amazing! I’ll try this out tomorrow and tell you what I think.

Mr. Blahson

Yes. Thank you very much for this. Real groundbreaking stuff you have here! Now… I wonder how it would look if I jump off of a cliff in first person…

One thing though. Is it on button press, or always on?

kaii

First person is always switched on. It would have been nice to have an option to switch between both.

I experimented with that idea, intending to turn the zoomed-aim camera into first person, leaving the walking camera 3rd person. But that camera always blurs the distance when you switch it on, hard-coded deep in the game, and I can’t prevent that, as far as I know. Plus you can’t jump or sprint in that mode (can change the “walking” speed, but then he starts running like a lemming).

So yeah, only third person left in the game is for the vehicles, when you press C. By default, they start in first person.

Diego

Rapidshare makes we wait for 16 minutes, then when that’s done, it makes me wait another 35 seconds, then tells gives me a “modified IP address” error and tells me to wait before retrying.

I love how it says it’s the “The anti-waiting company”

Anyway, trying to find a way around this error…

EDIT: Rapidshare really hates me…

kaii

Yeah that happens to me with filesonic, never could figure it out…

http://hotfile.com/dl/113960800/38a7b4b/JC2FPS_v2.0_by_Kaii.rar.html

There ya go

(sorry I went away last night and when I came back it seems Hotfile deleted the link – not sure why. This one works now, let’s hope they don’t delete it. If you have any troubles downloading, send me a private message providing your email address and I’ll email you the file.)

ShadowCE9

Nice mod :D Gives JC2 a new feel.

However, there are some bugs that you probably want (or don’t) to hear.

-When you blow something up from behind the dark screen of a helicopter or anything else, you don’t see the explosion.

-Also, chopper aiming is a bit…off. I am aiming at something and it always aims in the center. You basically have to align your chopper with the object to destroy it.

-Like you said in the Read Me, back of Rico’s head >.< Once I was fighting off 2 choppers, 3 jeeps and an APC by myself, when all of a sudden Rico's face popped up and I was blind xD

-I decided to restart the game on Hardcore mode with this mod. Apparently you can’t even go past the first tutorial mission. When that guy falls from the chopper with your PDA and you have to get it, you cannot see him at all. Probably has something to do with camera angles and controls.

I might add more later, but it’s still so fun.

Also, some suggestions that would work well with your mod, even if they aren’t camera mods.

*Higher Resolution Weapons. This can actually make the weapons look much better. Right now they are worse than Half Life 2 quality (I know it’s not your fault, the initial textures are bad).

*Add ability to control turrets from driver seat if there is no one already there. I have been on a boat and died so many times simply because I didn’t get into the turret fast enough.

*Mute footstep noises. I use 2x Sprint with custom Battle Music in the background, but the foot steps ruin it xD. (Again, not your fault, just the Engine’s sound going fast)

kaii

shadowce9 wrote:

Quote:
    Nice mod :D Gives JC2 a new feel.

However, there are some bugs that you probably want (or don’t) to hear.
    Want very much to hear! Thanks so much for this great feedback

-When you blow something up from behind the dark screen of a helicopter or anything else, you don’t see the explosion.
    Noticed that myself, nothing can be done about it I am afraid. This is one of the reasons why I plan to eventually work on a second version where all the vehicle cameras are outside the glass, to be included as an option for those that get peeved by this.

-Also, chopper aiming is a bit…off. I am aiming at something and it always aims in the center. You basically have to align your chopper with the object to destroy it.
    I don’t think that has anything to do with my mod, but basically, all aircraft with weapons have a cone where their weapons can point. You know when you are in the cone when the crosshair is visible. While so, the gun will shoot at the crosshair. If you point the camera outside this zone, the crosshair disappears and the weapon starts firing dead ahead. If I forgot to put the crosshair for certain aircraft, please tell me.

-Like you said in the Read Me, back of Rico’s head >.< Once I was fighting off 2 choppers, 3 jeeps and an APC by myself, when all of a sudden Rico's face popped up and I was blind xD
    In version 1.2, I decided to make him invisible even in block mode when aim/zooming. Hope that helps! [Oh wait – scratch that, I just checked and I forgot to include that. Will have to wait until v1.3 I’m afraid!] If you weren’t aim zooming, then yeah, its annoying! Wish I could do something about it, many sleepless nights yielded no result :( This is why I personally use the clear version. It would be nice to look down and see his feet but its a small sacrifice for the ability to look in all directions unhindered. Best way to enjoy the beauty and size of the game.

-I decided to restart the game on Hardcore mode with this mod. Apparently you can’t even go past the first tutorial mission. When that guy falls from the chopper with your PDA and you have to get it, you cannot see him at all. Probably has something to do with camera angles and controls.
    Just tried the first mission (on hardcore) with the mod and it all worked fine. Saw him dead ahead – there is a red arrow that points to him, perhaps you just missed that? Or it could be that v1.2 of the mod fixed whatever issue you had. If you still have problems it is probably another mod you are using. Send me a PM if you want help.

I might add more later, but it’s still so fun.
    Looking forward! Enjoy

Also, some suggestions that would work well with your mod, even if they aren’t camera mods.

*Higher Resolution Weapons. This can actually make the weapons look much better. Right now they are worse than Half Life 2 quality (I know it’s not your fault, the initial textures are bad).
    I know, and cockpit/dashboard textures! Although that is not possible afaiaw.

*Add ability to control turrets from driver seat if there is no one already there. I have been on a boat and died so many times simply because I didn’t get into the turret fast enough.
    That would be awesome, but that sounds completely impossible to me. That would involved substantial changes in the game engine that we simply cannot do. We are so limited…

*Mute footstep noises. I use 2x Sprint with custom Battle Music in the background, but the foot steps ruin it xD. (Again, not your fault, just the Engine’s sound going fast)
    Beat you to it! I decided to crank up the volume last night in surround sound, turn off all the lights, put on my 3D glasses and have a proper JC2 immersion. I was in the middle of a forest at night and was listening to the crickets and owls and feeling alone and scared – it was fantastic! – but as soon as I started to move, all the atmosphere was lost to CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH….So I immediately set about to make a mod that turns down footsteps. I couldn’t figure out how to do that but I did find a way to turn them off (and you still hear all the other walking sounds – his trousers rubbing, etc. which aren’t nearly as loud and are enough to make you believe you are walking). I also made a file to turn up the environmental sounds so you can have them loud without going deaf every time you shoot. All included in the updated version as options, as well as other nice little mods to enhance your first person experience. See the OP.

Enjoy!

nobody

I really love this mod, it has given the game new life for me. I have just had one small issue: I like to use an xbox 360 controller when in a vehicle for its analog stick, but after installing the mod I find the steering sensitivity is much higher. Has anybody else experienced this? Thanks!

kaii

Interesting. I can see in theory why that is possible but it is not something I would be able to test or fix without a controller myself. Unless somebody donates I am not going to be able to afford one xD

but yeah, how bad is it?

Victor

Could you make the walking camera third person with vehicle camera being first person .I really like the first person vehicle mod. I also like walking camera being first person but it makes me dizzy.

kaii

You mean release a vehicle mod first person only? I think I will, thanks for the idea. May take a while till I get the time though.

Victor

thank you very much.

ShadowCE9

About that first mission incident, it was apparently a problem on my end. I had decided to increase the FOV of my game, and increasing FOV + First Person Pwnage simply don’t like to work together with missions. I guess the falling guy must have been above the increased-fov camera.

signinpage

The only problem I see with this is that there should be a second mirror for in case if Hotfile goes down or something.

Az

I would absolutely love a fully functioning 1st person vehicle mod. Mainly I want it just for aircraft, as it would make it easier to line up while flying.

Srdjan

Pls i used the superman mod with the fps cam when flying!
    i love the cars FPS view! But i want a 3rd person view on rico!
    Pls!

EDIT!
    You really need to get the tint from teh windows,make them transparent! I sit in a plane and its too dark! ITs awful for me!
    Also is there a way to stop the shaking of guns! The guns shake like hell! Also can they stay always on the right side or left (they switch when you point in the opposite side)!

kaii

srkia wrote:

Quote:
    Pls i used the superman mod with the fps cam when flying!
    i love the cars FPS view! But i want a 3rd person view on rico!
    Pls!

EDIT!
    You really need to get the tint from teh windows,make them transparent! I sit in a plane and its too dark! ITs awful for me!
    Also is there a way to stop the shaking of guns! The guns shake like hell! Also can they stay always on the right side or left (they switch when you point in the opposite side)!

EDIT:
    First person vehicles only mod now ready here //justcause2mods.com/index.php/mods/other/Gameplay/Kaiis-Vehicles-First-Person-Mod/.

Can’t get rid of the tint, see previous posts.

Not exactly sure what u mean by gun shaking but I smoothed the jolty camera in the latest update.

Can’t stop guns changing side, wish I could, tried very hard during the preparation of this mod :( seems impossible.

It can’t be perfect, but this is still a great mod and probably the best you’re gonna get. I’ll always be on the look out for improvements and already have a few in store. Keep an eye out and enjoy!

:)

TheOracle

Just wanted to say what an awesome mod this was. My first five minutes of playing just cause 2, I was thinking how awesome this would be in first person. And yeah, the tinted window glass is annoying but the devs never intended for you to be in the actual cockpit so it makes sense.

Downloading version 2 as we speak.

Jan

Very nice Mod !

But there is a serious bug: Normally when you crash in a plane you die but withyour mod you only get injured 50%
    So now ?

Naz

Recently downloaded the mod and for the most part it’s really good. Only a few issues are keeping me from using it.

1st person on foot: Really hard to aim manually, but other than that I didn’t really have a problem with it, but I think I like 3rd person view overall. (untill I use a lot more mods later of course :) )

Turrets with vehicles are pretty much useless. Going to 3rd with C helps, but the one problem is the camera stays directly behind the vehicle instead of behind/above. Again kinda makes turrets hard to use.

(while using the FPS vehicles only)
    So far the only thing I found that I would consider a bug is jumping onto vehicles. When you first jump on the camera goes kinda wonky and uncontrollable. This gets fixed if you get into the vehicle then go back onto the roof, though now you don’t have a driver. The next part of this bug is when I jumped to a passing vehicle, the camera stayed with the FIRST vehicle. I watched myself ride off into the distance.

kaii

Thanks for your useful feedback! I wish more people would provide bug reports. So let’s get onto it:

Nazralte wrote:

Quote:
    Recently downloaded the mod and for the most part it’s really good. Only a few issues are keeping me from using it.

1st person on foot: Really hard to aim manually, but other than that I didn’t really have a problem with it, but I think I like 3rd person view overall. (untill I use a lot more mods later of course :) )

Many people have said that it is really hard to aim manually, but I am not sure what they mean exactly. Is it because if you turn while standing still, and then shoot, the cross-hair moves position as Rico swivels to face the new direction? If so there is nothing I can do about that I am afraid…Other than that, it seems normal to me so please be more specific.

Quote:
    Turrets with vehicles are pretty much useless. Going to 3rd with C helps, but the one problem is the camera stays directly behind the vehicle instead of behind/above. Again kinda makes turrets hard to use.

I never tested turrets with vehicles, actually, I guess I forgot. Thanks for pointing that out, I will work on it.

Quote:
    (while using the FPS vehicles only)
    So far the only thing I found that I would consider a bug is jumping onto vehicles. When you first jump on the camera goes kinda wonky and uncontrollable. This gets fixed if you get into the vehicle then go back onto the roof, though now you don’t have a driver. The next part of this bug is when I jumped to a passing vehicle, the camera stayed with the FIRST vehicle. I watched myself ride off into the distance.

I can’t repeat this bug. Getting into the vehicles works fine for me, although it is in the known issues list that when you are actually getting in, the camera goes to a strange position for some of the vehicles, until Rico is settled. I tried (for days) to fix this but I couldn’t, and seeing as it only lasts for a few seconds, it isn’t such a huge problem. What you have mentioned sounds different though so if you could give me more information – how to repeat the bug etc. – I can look into it.

Once again, thanks, any other bugs please report them! I have some exams at the moment so it will be a few weeks until I can devote my full attention to the mod again.

Naz

I will double check tomorrow, but im pretty sure the bug I spoke of when you are ON the car (not inside) is when you zipline to one. I was just having some fun last night and noticed the camera was normal when I just used the “stunt jump” button instead of zipping. So perhaps that’s where the bug is, when you zipline to a car.

As for the aiming thing, it has nothing to do with your mod. Even in 3rd person using the manual aim can be a pain. Game just isnt meant for it. However, when I get further in the game and put some of the more crazy mods like your superman and god mode, I will use first person all the time. :)

kaii

Nazralte wrote:

Quote:
    I will double check tomorrow, but im pretty sure the bug I spoke of when you are ON the car (not inside) is when you zipline to one. I was just having some fun last night and noticed the camera was normal when I just used the “stunt jump” button instead of zipping. So perhaps that’s where the bug is, when you zipline to a car.

Cool. Please let me know the exact version you are using (SC, SB, NB etc.), one vehicle you are sure the bug happens on, how you made it happen and if possible, one vehicle where it doesn’t happen.

Quote:
    As for the aiming thing, it has nothing to do with your mod. Even in 3rd person using the manual aim can be a pain. Game just isnt meant for it. However, when I get further in the game and put some of the more crazy mods like your superman and god mode, I will use first person all the time. :)

Aha, I agree that aiming in general sucks in the game. The negative mouse acceleration left over from the console port drives some people absolutely batty!

And the superman and invincibility mods are not mine, they are way too awesome to be the result of my humble tinkering. I just ported the superman mod and made it first person. Invincibility is not even included with my mod!

Anyway, glad you enjoy it and looking forward to your report! :woohoo:

p.s. I am also a strong advocate of the no cheating until game is completed philosophy :police:

Naz

Ya, when a vehicle is being driven by a npc and you zip to it, that’s when the bug occurs. And like I said in my previous post, when your on a car and zip to another, the camera will stay on the car you were on. Pretty sure it would happen on any vehicle being driven (except bikes of course) and maybe boats too. Haven’t tried it on planes or anything, just road vehicles.

But, if you just stunt jump, everything works fine.

The version Im using is PC, got it off steam. Version of your mod is the sometimes behind glass, 3rd person no superman.

I feel better now that I know I can stunt jump and still ‘ride’ the cars. I rather enjoy riding on the roof shooting at the military and such. :cheer:

John

First want to say thank you for doing this mod.

Now I need help, after I installed this all my weapons went to 0 ammo except grenades & C4, I messed around some and took a rifle from a guy and it was 0 too and I bought a sniper rifle from the black market and it was 0.
    Everything else seems fine.
    Any idea what I did wrong?

kaii

hmm which exact version did you install? I’ll take a look

EDIT
    @nazralte: I realised why the roof camera wasn’t working – I deleted it for the vehicles only files! It is back and I will release it along with a few other updates in the next few hours/days.

As for the turret issue you mentioned, I noticed that I forgot to restore the turrets to 3rd person for that mod, but I don’t think you mean mounted machine-gun turrets that you can go in, as you can’t go to third person with C for those. You must have meant Tank turrets. You’re right, they are pretty useless now, so I will edit the 3rd person camera for that so they behave like the normal game. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. If there are any other vehicles with turrets that I forgot about, please inform me asap.

EDIT 2
    v2.1 is up. Nazralte’s bugs are fixed (still waiting for reply from Coils before I work on his), along with others. Let me know if there are any other issues.

Bugxfgsgs

Thank you for this great mod!

The only issue I have with this mod is that the camera is almost always zoomed in when Rico is on foot. It unzooms when Rico is pulling himself with the wire or when he is underwater (also it seems to unzoom with the stunt camera or ragdoll on).

I would like the camera zoom to be always off, because now it makes me dizzy.

kaii

When you say zoom, you are referring to FOV (field of view). I deliberately left the FOV at the default value, which you may not like. Most people do not like, as a matter of fact, but seeing as you can change the FOV yourself with console commands, it didn’t make sense for me to force everyone to have a high FOV (i.e. “unzoomed”).

If you tell me what platform you are playing on, and whether it is Steam, standard or skidrow, I can tell you how to change the FOV yourself.

John

Kaii if you mean the version of your mod, it’s the 2.0
    Also I’m on a PC, playing through Steam.
    I had another mod in for unlimited ammo and some weapons upgrades, the WinRaR file is Just_Cause_2_super_weapons_mod made by m60 aka Randodom that I downloaded from here.
    If you know of an unlimited ammo mod that works with yours, let me know and I’ll try that.

I haven’t had much time to mess with it in the last couple days, maybe I’ll try the 2.1 version this weekend and see what happens.

Thanks for trying to help

Bugxfgsgs

Kaii wrote:

Quote:
    When you say zoom, you are referring to FOV (field of view). I deliberately left the FOV at the default value, which you may not like. Most people do not like, as a matter of fact, but seeing as you can change the FOV yourself with console commands, it didn’t make sense for me to force everyone to have a high FOV (i.e. “unzoomed”).

If you tell me what platform you are playing on, and whether it is Steam, standard or skidrow, I can tell you how to change the FOV yourself.

Thanks!

I googled it and found out that in my version (Skidrow) I can change the FOV just by adding /fovfactor=x to the properties of the shortcut to Just Cause.exe. I put x to 2.0 which is the highest possible value.

Awesome!

kaii

@coils no I meant which version of the mod – superman, clear, normal, block, etc etc.

@bugmenot glad to help! I used to be addicted to FOV too until I got 3D. Now I don’t like it too high or it makes me feel sick.

John

LOL sorry.
    Vehicle Camera Always Outside the Glass
    Normal Version
    Block Version

It’s possible I did something wrong, haven’t had time to mess with it again yet.

kaii

well i did a check and there didn’t seem to be an issue. Ammo related problems will normally be due to one of 3 files:

weapon_upgrades.bin
    weapons.bin
    ammunition.bin

There is absolutely zero compatibility problems with my mod and weapon/ammo-related mods so I’ll assume it is a coincidence that you had this problem when you installed my mod. See if it fixes when you remove those files and then go spank the person you got them from.

Always be sure you don’t have 2 of any files with the same name in your dropzone (except .xml files – they don’t get read by the game).

Also, try upgrading to v2.1 of my mod, just in case ;)

Joubarbe

In Vehicle Only, we still see Rico’s head when riding a bike.

Thanks anyway for this mod :)

Casey

I can’t seem to get any of the downloads to work
    From Filesonic it says the archive is in unknown format or is damaged.
    From Rapidshare instead of giving me the correct file it gives me a rsapi.html file.
    From Hotfile it gives me an unexpected end of archive failure resulting in being not able to open the file.

EDIT:
    Nevermind its an error with Firefox it worked easy after I switched to IE. Thanks for the Mod.

kaii

Joubarbe wrote:

Quote:
    In Vehicle Only, we still see Rico’s head when riding a bike.

Thanks anyway for this mod :)

+rep to you dude. You have no idea how big a bug you uncovered with that! Not only did I forget to include the kc001_base.asb file with the vehicle only mod, I also forgot to give out the correct one for the non-superman versions of the first person mod.

Crazy that no1 mentioned it. They have been parachuting wrong for all this time and not a peep. This requires a rather large overhaul so I will get to it for the next update.

Thankiesai!

Henry

Exelent work!

John

Kaii
    Finally got some time to mess with it some more over the weekend.

Your most likely right, it might be an issue with another mod?
    But I found that if I just loaded the Vehicle Only first person mod it seemed to be ok. I don’t know what to say, not smart enough to do the stuff most of you people do, but I like it setup this way and will mess with it some more later on.

Thanks for all your help

Eric

Great mod! I’m enjoying this a lot! B) Is there any way the plane and helicopter can be used in 3rd person with this mod? Everything else I want first person, but the helicopter and plane should still be 3rd person in my opinion. It’s harder to aim with the chopper when flying in first person.

Let me know if this is possible.

kaii

Press C when in vehicles to switch to third person.

Eric

Kaii wrote:

Quote:

Doesn’t work for me. The C key is mapped for the helicopter to decrease altitude. What action does the C key normally take? What key would it be for me?

kaii

own3mall wrote:

Quote:
    Kaii wrote:

Quote:

Doesn’t work for me. The C key is mapped for the helicopter to decrease altitude. What action does the C key normally take? What key would it be for me?

the reverse camera key. its all in the documentation. enjoy!

Robert

This is a really great mod but I think it would be perfect if you could make the parachute view like it is in Prof Farnsworth’s 1st person mod, where you can see Rico’s legs and feet when you look down. Right now, the camera seems to end up behind him when parachuting and this sort of spoils the 1st person effect of the mod.

Apart from that, this is excellent! Thanks a lot… ;)

kaii

Yep too right, a few posts back someone made me realise I had totally forgot to put a totally important file into this totally awesome mod for all those who use the parachute versions. I am going to fix that in the next release sometime this week.

Congrats on being the first person out of 12,000 to actually mention that seriously obvious flaw. As a result, I feel no guilt in not noticing it myself. If nobody helps me, of course there are gonna be issues like that! Hard for 1 man to keep track of about 20 versions of a single mod ;)

nebura

Great mod. I was looking forward to play JC2 in first person view.

MrShow

Good execution, but feels somewhat claustrophobic due to the default FoV. Fun for playing around with, but I couldn’t see playing more than 30 minutes unless someone finds a way to implement a proper FoV.

kaii

MrShow wrote:

Quote:
    Good execution, but feels somewhat claustrophobic due to the default FoV. Fun for playing around with, but I couldn’t see playing more than 30 minutes unless someone finds a way to implement a proper FoV.

What version of the game are you using? I’ll assume steam because they just put JC2 on a sale and you are clearly new to this.

For Steam users, right click the game in your library > properties > set launch options

Then put in a line /fovfactor=# where # can be between 0 and 2. 1 is default so try it all the way up to 2 until you find an FoV you like.

Good luck.

Diremma

Hey you should consider adding a no-auto-center feature to the vehicle cameras. I hate having to wiggle my camera while I’m looking outside the sides of my helicopter so I can see without it centering.

kaii

For other vehicles, the auto-center has been greatly relaxed by the mod. However, as for helicopters, the game mechanics force the turning to be achieved by turning the camera, rather than with mouse keys. There is no way to turn that off, so unfortunately, we are stuck without being able to look around in the choppers. Sorry pal, but if it helps, I feel your pain in this matter!

EDIT: Version 3.0 is out! Give it a try. Some nice fixes and additions :)

Robert

Wow, you totally rock. Gonna try 3.0 right now… ;)

kaii

Thanks rob. Enjoy ;)

rob

not sure what im doing wrong but i downloaded the 3.0 version and i have it working in 1st person with vehicles and parachutes but on foot is still 3rd, the doc mentions instructions in the “the difference” doc for installing clear or block mode but there is nothing there. what am i missing? thanks in advance

kaii

rabid666evil wrote:

Quote:
    not sure what im doing wrong but i downloaded the 3.0 version and i have it working in 1st person with vehicles and parachutes but on foot is still 3rd, the doc mentions instructions in the “the difference” doc for installing clear or block mode but there is nothing there. what am i missing? thanks in advance

Read the instructions in the file “README Important.txt”. If that doesn’t answer your questions, come back to me.

I will want to know which exact version you are using (clear/block, superman/normal/3rd-person parachute, 3rd person stunt/no more north, etc. be as exact as you can)

Ryan

Hello Kaii,
    I really enjoy using your mod and have been having a good time with it so far.

I would like to know; how can I “modify” (by modify I mean change some of the hex you used in the camera_default and the camera_settings) your .bin files, and the kc001_base.asb file. I was wondering because I wanted to change the view slightly but I don’t really know how I could do it. Can you help me out?
    EDIT: And if you can tell me the progams you used to make this mod, that would also help me out. :D

CoconutFred

Hi, I’d like to merge this awesome mod with the AC130 camera settings, where when you press C the camera switches to a top-down view for aiming the plane’s guns. But it seems that bin2xml has a hard time working with your modified files, so is there any way that you can upload the source code for the mod? Thanks a bunch.

kaii

I have locked those files from editing for several reasons. If you wish to discuss that, please send me a private message.

If you want, let me know what you want to tweak and I’ll see what I can do.

All the best guys.

EDIT: I would love to make the AC130 mod compatible, if only I could find it. Please give me a link to the mod and I will sort it out just for you. It will only take a second (and in fact there is a guide inside the JC2FPS mod that teaches you how to do it, although I admit it is a bit complicated….).

Kalle

It’s an awesome modification, but I found some bugs: (don’t know if they were mentioned earlier on this thread, but I don’t have time to read it all). Anyway, here they are:

– You can’t see explosions and rockets through the vehicles glass. :huh:

– When being a passenger on a vehicle, the camera is stuck to the inside of the car. :(

– And when swimming or hanging from a helicopter, even with Clear Mode, you can see Rico. :S

Maybe I’ll find more, but I’ve just played it for 15minutes so far :)

kaii

Maku220 wrote:

Quote:
    It’s an awesome modification [thanks dude], but I found some bugs: (don’t know if they were mentioned earlier on this thread, but I don’t have time to read it all [no problem dude, I just appreciate the reports!]). Anyway, here they are:

– You can’t see explosions and rockets through the vehicles glass. :huh:
    You are right but unfortunately I can’t do anything about that :/

– When being a passenger on a vehicle, the camera is stuck to the inside of the car. :(
    Please be more specific

– And when swimming or hanging from a helicopter, even with Clear Mode, you can see Rico. :S
    This is an unusual bug, I was sure that I had fixed that already, please try to be more detailed.

Maybe I’ll find more, but I’ve just played it for 15minutes so far :)

Thanks so much for the bug reports, I really appreciate them! And for the translation. You, are awesome, my friend.

Please tell me the exact version of the mod you use (Clear/Block, Normal/Superman…etc.)

CoconutFred

Kaii wrote:

Quote:
    I have locked those files from editing for several reasons. If you wish to discuss that, please send me a private message.

If you want, let me know what you want to tweak and I’ll see what I can do.

All the best guys.

EDIT: I would love to make the AC130 mod compatible, if only I could find it. Please give me a link to the mod and I will sort it out just for you. It will only take a second (and in fact there is a guide inside the JC2FPS mod that teaches you how to do it, although I admit it is a bit complicated….).

//www.justcause2mods.com/mods/Vehicles/Planes/Bering-130-Xtreme-v4/

It contains its own camera_settings and camera_defaults.bin files.

kaii

CoconutFred wrote:

Quote:
    //www.justcause2mods.com/mods/Vehicles/Planes/Bering-130-Xtreme-v4/

It contains its own camera_settings and camera_defaults.bin files.

Ok I will edit one of my camera_settings.bin. Which one do you want? (clear/block/normal/superman/no stunt/etc.)

CoconutFred

Normal/Block? Thanks a bunch.

alecslee

A very nice mod dude :)

Can you make a tweak to switch between first and third camera at any moment? I mean, in the “walking/combat/explore” modes, not only when you driving.

kaii

I have something like that in the works for v4.0, but due to the limitations to the engine, you will soon find out that it isn’t gonna be perfect.

alecslee

Its a very good news :).

What do you meaning when you say that it will be not perfect? some kind of problem with the transition between the first an the third camera?

When it comes out? :cheer:

Grimulkan

Perhaps this has been mentioned before, and is probably a quick fix. I just noticed that the “3rd person stunt camera mod” (which works reasonably well btw, although I have not tested it extensively) seems to not have a version for “camera sometimes inside vehicles”.

I installed the mod normally, first installing the “sometimes inside” version with “block + 3rd person parachute”, then copying over the corresponding “3rd person stunt” version. Unfortunately, he vehicle cameras are now outside all the time. I’ve tried this, I think, with all the “3rd person stunt” variants (clear vs block, 3rd parachute vs not), although I might have missed a variant or two. The bug persists in all of those I tested.

Without the camera_settings.bin from “3d person stunt”, the “sometimes inside” mods work fine (although, of course, no 3rd person stunt camera).

Update: 2 more bugs.
    * Camera still faces north after reeling in to a level horizontal surface (such as the road). I’ve tried normal and 3rd person versions, with my dropzone emptied of all mods except this one. Camera does NOT face north after reeling in if I use one of the non-“No more north” versions (2a or 2b in the archive). Perhaps just a case of mislabeling.
    * When grappling a vertical surface above ground level (such as the top of a building), you can see Rico after he reels in and remains hooked to the surface, even with the clear mod, if you have a very wide aspect ratio (such as with triplehead/matrox, eyefinity or Nvidia surround). For regular 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratios, Rico will still be visible in this situation, but the non-superwideness will prevent you from seeing more than Rico’s arm. I’ve encountered this with the normal+clear version, it may occur with others.

This is with Just Cause 2 v1.0.0.8. I didn’t try superman.

Annie

*sigh* This doesn’t work ever since steam updated JC2. :(

Now whenever I install this the camera is LITERALLY at the bottom of Rico’s feet, and I can’t see SHIT. :blink: For vehicles, (yes, I managed to actually get into one despite the crap camera) The camera is normal, but when I press C to get into third person the game crashes. WTH???

Grimulkan

RainbowDash101 wrote:

Quote:

Now whenever I install this the camera is LITERALLY at the bottom of Rico’s feet, and I can’t see SHIT. :blink: For vehicles, (yes, I managed to actually get into one despite the crap camera) The camera is normal, but when I press C to get into third person the game crashes. WTH???

Apart from the issues I mentioned above, it still works with JC2 1.0.0.8, non-steam. No way to downgrade in Steam? What if you uninstall and reinstall, but remain in offline mode?

Annie

Nope. The steam servers have to be connected to play the game.

FOR GOD’S SAKES IT DOESN’T EVEN HAVE MULTIPLAYER

kaii

Wowee, lots of posts lately. Let’s see what I can do.

alecslee wrote:

Quote:
    Its a very good news :).

What do you meaning when you say that it will be not perfect? some kind of problem with the transition between the first an the third camera?

When it comes out? :cheer:

It won’t be perfect because there is no way to create an entirely new camera in the game. I am going to have to change another one, and the most obvious choice is the zoom/shoulder camera. This is imperfect because it removes the ability to zoom (sniper rifle’s wont be affected thankfully), and secondly it introduces a depth-of-field effect that I can’t do anything about. Thus it’s going to be available as an option for those that can live with those downsides, but the main FPS-only versions will still be the main part of the mod.

To answer your other question, I am ashamed to say that I haven’t been able to work on the mod for a long time due to a lot of issues. I wish I could be paid to mod! Regardless, I have it at the top of my list of priorities after feeding myself and maintaining a good shelter in which to sleep and keep out the cold ;) Guys, feel free to rally up a big donation and I give you my word the mod will be out faster than a neutrino. Metaphorically speaking of course. Failing a fairly hefty mass-donation, I expect it should be out by February but I don’t want to make any promises. It’s going to be worth the wait though.

Grimulkan, I will comment on your excellent bug report in bold text:

Grimulkan wrote:

Quote:
    Perhaps this has been mentioned before, and is probably a quick fix. I just noticed that the “3rd person stunt camera mod” (which works reasonably well btw, although I have not tested it extensively) seems to not have a version for “camera sometimes inside vehicles”.

I installed the mod normally, first installing the “sometimes inside” version with “block + 3rd person parachute”, then copying over the corresponding “3rd person stunt” version. Unfortunately, he vehicle cameras are now outside all the time. I’ve tried this, I think, with all the “3rd person stunt” variants (clear vs block, 3rd parachute vs not), although I might have missed a variant or two. The bug persists in all of those I tested.

Without the camera_settings.bin from “3d person stunt”, the “sometimes inside” mods work fine (although, of course, no 3rd person stunt camera).

The “sometimes inside” and “always outside” parameters are contained inside the camera_settings.bin file, as well as the parameters that determine “3rd person stunt”. Thus there is no work around short of me creating a new camera_settings.bin to combine them. Seeing as it seems to be working, I can take it out of Beta for v4.0 and it will cover all vehicle camera options.

Update: 2 more bugs.
    * Camera still faces north after reeling in to a level horizontal surface (such as the road). I’ve tried normal and 3rd person versions, with my dropzone emptied of all mods except this one. Camera does NOT face north after reeling in if I use one of the non-“No more north” versions (2a or 2b in the archive). Perhaps just a case of mislabeling.

Very interesting. I guess I must have mislabeled it. I will look into that for v4.0. Thanks for pointing it out! It is such a HUGE mod that there are literally 80 obvious things like that that can just escape my notice entirely. I really appreciate people like you taking the time to let me know. You’ll get a thanks in the readme if this turns out to hold water :D

* When grappling a vertical surface above ground level (such as the top of a building), you can see Rico after he reels in and remains hooked to the surface, even with the clear mod, if you have a very wide aspect ratio (such as with triplehead/matrox, eyefinity or Nvidia surround). For regular 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratios, Rico will still be visible in this situation, but the non-superwideness will prevent you from seeing more than Rico’s arm. I’ve encountered this with the normal+clear version, it may occur with others.

This is with Just Cause 2 v1.0.0.8. I didn’t try superman.

Yes, this is called clipping and I designed the mod to work at the default FOV with minimal clipping. It is not so much the aspect ratio as the FOV. For those with multiple screens, I cannot even think about making it work without clipping for them, it might just not be possible. I am basically sticking the camera right in front of Rico’s head and limiting the angle range through which he can turn it, and I set the boundaries of that range based on default FOV at 16:9. Even doing this, sometimes the camera will end up slightly out of place (or in the case of vehicles where this is also a problem, RICO will be sitting in a slightly different place) and clipping will still occur.

I am very much on the verge of reconsidering having it designed to work at default FOV. I will have to restrict his head movement even further and do a lot of tweaking but I don’t think it will be too much of a problem.

p.s. it’s also a problem for Superman flying, FYI

Now last but not least:

RainbowDash101 wrote:

Quote:

There hasn’t been an update on Steam since I released the mod. You’ll have to give me a bit more info as I think we can fix this for you. Send me a private message.

Annie

I meant the 1.1 update… I should’ve rephrased that more clearly; your mod worked for 2 days, but after that it started acting up and crashing my game so i basically just reinstalled but then it started doing all that crap of what I said earlier.

kaii

I remember someone else had your problem but I can’t remember who or if and how they solved it. i’ll send you a pm

Corkmeat

My apologies if you’ve discussed this somehwere already, but is there a way to make Rico invisible while parasailing as well as on foot? That seems to be a major immersion breaker- hopping to the skies and suddenly seeing HAIR EVERYWHERE.

Also, are you capable of repositioning the camera within certain vehicles? Because for things like the armored vehicles you sit a little bit too high to actually use the viewport.

kaii

Thanks a bunch for the bug report! I can try to make Rico invisible during the parachuting sections. I’m surprised I didn’t do that already, but it has been so long since I dealt with that that it could be I tried it and it didn’t work. Switch to the third-person parachuting version for now and wait for v4.0.

As for the vehicles, if you could do me a favour and tell me exactly which ones are problematic I will look into them. There are about 70 vehicles or so so I am bound to have got some wrong. So few people have given bug reports so if you help me out, you’ll get a nice thank you in the Readmes!

Corkmeat

The only one that really seems unmanageable to drive is the Razorback. I’ll mention any others if I see them.

Also, regarding the invisibility thing, that might be something to do with a skin instead of this mod- literally change Rico to have a transparent head texture rather than try to make him transparent. I hadn’t thought about that when I mentioned it.

kaii

Thanks for the feedback regarding the Razorback!

About the texture thing. I tried it and decided against it for several reasons. Firstly, the camera still turns enough for you to realise that you are standing in a headless body constantly, which is a very big immersion breaker. Your shadow also becomes headless and Rico is headless in all the cutscenes.

Siddharth

If ever you want to translate anything to Hindi (India), let me know. I would be glad to help. ;) Also, with people complaining of incomplete shadows, I have no issues. And only issue that I face, which is not very big, is that you know when you’re parachuting and you press SPACE-BAR to do a sky-dive and Rico does a back-flip? Well, everything is FP (first person) except the back-flip. It looks like a cool transition but you know, I am curious how would the flip feel in FP. Other than that, I love you. (No homo) And I am dying for how your mod will become once Square Enix approves of the deep-modding. Best of luck for 4.0. Bless you.

Brandon

Hello,

First off I wanna say this mod is really outstanding.
    Many many props to you sir.

Unfortunately the No North packages seem not to work properly on roads when grappling, is this a known issue?
    I read above about some mislabeling and was wondering if that was the root cause and if you have had the chance to fix that :)

I used Always outside/Normal/block + No north/always outside/normal/block but it doesn’t seem to work :(

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Is this mod still being worked on, version 4.0 looked good. Anyone know if the current version still works? Thanks!

voxbox13
    voxbox13
    Participant

ghostwarrior33 wrote:

Quote:
    Is this mod still being worked on, version 4.0 looked good. Anyone know if the current version still works? Thanks!

I tried it a few months back and it worked great.
    (Game version 1.0.0.2)

Kaii has incredible attention to detail, and has done a great job of keeping everything
    in the mod as compatible as possible.

I would be surprised if the current version didn’t work well.

mfg42

Very good work, but it didn’t on my sys.
    My Question, this mod works on parachute and frefall, too?
    The basejumping competitions are very fucking stupid hard, if my point of view is limited with an dead corner at the perspectice directly under my eyes :mad:.

Edit: Sorry, my english skills are not good enough to recognize the features of this different versions…
    Also, there is an “Superman-Version” whicht needs the Superman-Mod…

I want to have an 1st Person View in freefalling and parachuting, and a changeable view in cars, not inside, without glasses. So I’ll take this version “2a. Vehicles Camera Always Outside Glass”. Maybe without North-Calibration also 2c is better.
    But what in 3rd Person Stunt Camera (i know i have to take the always outside glass version…) but whats the differenc betwheen block and clear version…?

CoconutFred

In the “block” version, you will see your character, but the camera might sometimes go inside of him, which will block your view completely. In the “clear” version, your character is completely invisible, so if you look in a mirror you will see a floating gun.

john wayne

There is one big problem I really hope u can fix if you’re still around: When in first person in a helicopter, the limit to where u can aim is severely limited vertically compared to third person. It is a shame since I mainly use the helis to get around and do missions, and the first person view is so wonderful compared to the 3rd person view.

To see the problem, simply go to third person in a heli with guns, and aim as far down as you can. Notice how you can aim and shoot pretty low, almost directly under you. Now, press c and go into first person, and try to aim and shoot down. You will see that the crosshair disappears way too early when starting to aim down compared to third person, causing all shots to fire strait ahead, instead of where they should and would fire if I was in 3rd person view. This makes combat very difficult in 1st person since the angles of fire are so narrow it’s almost impossible to hit any target below your height.

I would be VERY grateful of this bug being fixed, maybe releasing a hotfix if you’re still around, since i just picked up this game on a christmas sale and am really very much enjoying using your mod in vehicles.

Thanks for the great mod

Jared

Kaii wrote:

Quote:
    Thanks for the feedback regarding the Razorback!

About the texture thing. I tried it and decided against it for several reasons. Firstly, the camera still turns enough for you to realise that you are standing in a headless body constantly, which is a very big immersion breaker. Your shadow also becomes headless and Rico is headless in all the cutscenes.

I am desperately in love with this mod, and I am just wondering if you are still working on and/or going to release V4.00 of it.

CoconutFred

Oh Kaii, you clever, clever bastard.

woodrowjanke

I feel like its a silly question lol, but when did you ladies start dress shopping?

Just to ensure you have enough time to allow for alterations and I guess to allow time to order things in…other things I havent considered, etc haha. Whats a good time frame to work with?
    Ive been engaged since late Aug 2012, and the wedding will be Feb 2014, at f

Vitthal

Can someone tell me what ETA TBC stands for? By the way amazing mod cannot wait for 4.0

CoconutFred

Estimated time of arrival – to be considered.

You’re pretty much out of like hydrogen, Kaii stopped coming to the site months ago. I do have access to his code, though, so I could conceivably still update his mods.

demon4511
    Participant

why did kaii leave?

kaii

I haven’t left, I’m just existing at a different rate of time to all you lot. I want to be here in a 1000 years you see…subscribe to my youtube channel for continual proof I still exist and watch – I’ll be releasing plenty of entertaining videos for your mass merriment. You can harrass me in the comments about working on the mod – I’ll read those more than I read these…

coconutfred, you git, contact me or ill remove your coconuts and you’ll be known as just “fred”

kaii
    sizzleszz wrote:
    There is one big problem I really hope u can fix if you’re still around: When in first person in a helicopter, the limit to where u can aim is severely limited vertically compared to third person. It is a shame since I mainly use the helis to get around and do missions, and the first person view is so wonderful compared to the 3rd person view.

To see the problem, simply go to third person in a heli with guns, and aim as far down as you can. Notice how you can aim and shoot pretty low, almost directly under you. Now, press c and go into first person, and try to aim and shoot down. You will see that the crosshair disappears way too early when starting to aim down compared to third person, causing all shots to fire strait ahead, instead of where they should and would fire if I was in 3rd person view. This makes combat very difficult in 1st person since the angles of fire are so narrow it’s almost impossible to hit any target below your height.

I would be VERY grateful of this bug being fixed, maybe releasing a hotfix if you’re still around, since i just picked up this game on a christmas sale and am really very much enjoying using your mod in vehicles.

Thanks for the great mod

I’ll see if I can sort that out over the summer :) you’re right this is a big problem.

No promises it will a) work b) be something i actually get round to doing.

mandella644

Kaii :ohmy:

mandella644

(double post, please remove)

CoconutFred

AWWW GAWWD
    HE’S ALIVE
    ABANDON SHIP
    ABANDON SHIP COCONUTS ABANDON SHIIIP

voxbox13
    voxbox13
    Participant

@coconutfred – Got your message = done ;)

@kaii – Glad you’re still around!

kaii

@coconutfred and voxbox13 – thanks!
    @voxbox13 – good to see you still here too

demon4511
    Participant

Hey :) yay!!!
    Glad to finally talk to you!!!

Jared
    Kaii wrote:
    I’ll see if I can sort that out over the summer :) you’re right this is a big problem.

No promises it will a) work b) be something i actually get round to doing.

Will you please, please update your first-person vehicle mod so that you can’t see the inside of Rico’s head when on two-wheeled vehicles? Hell, I’d even be willing to donate a decent amount of money if you managed to get it fixed. I’m glad you’e still here Kaii.

thatjoshguy

Just popped in to say that I recently purchased JC2 via Steam SUmmer Sale specifically for this mod. I had it on XBOX360, but wanted to experience this, and I’m glad I did. You’ve made my favorite game even more favorable. Good job, hope to see V4 someday!

hitmandavey
    Participant

Well the first person in cars are quite bad try moving the camera back a little so it goes in the car.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.