Editing the HUD/Crosshair/Sniper Scope etc.

Just Cause 2 Mods Forums Tutorials Editing the HUD/Crosshair/Sniper Scope etc.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

After years of work an research i finally found a way to edit hthe HUD, the crosshair and some other things

I tested similar approach with the following files :

pda.blz (look at Step 4.1)
      main_menu.blz
      frontend.blz

STEP 1:

locate the “main_menu.blz” in the pc0.arc you can find this file in a folder named “gui”, and open it with gibbets archive viewer

STEP 2:

Drag the “main_menu.blz” on Gibbeds Small Unpack. You will get a folder named “main_menu”

STEP 3:

This is the most important step. Delete all files with a “fe_*.dds” in its name. DONT DELETE THE “main_menu.agui” which is in the folder, too.

STEP 4:

Now edit the files you want. I wont explain anything about this, because there are just dds files in the folder.Just use Paint.Net or gimp or sonthing else to do this. For example, edit the “sniper_hud_dif.dds” to get a new sniper scope.

STEP 4.1(only pda.blz):

Search for the biggest file in the “pda” folder. Its name will be something with “map.dds” (dont know the full name atm). Its about 4mb big, just open it, make it a bit smaller (about 2mb) and save it. The problem is that JC2 will crash if there a bigger than 4mb .blz files in the dropzone folder.

STEP 5:

Save all the edited files , make sure that the “main_menu.agui”is in the folder, and drag the “main_menu” folder on Gibbeds Small Pack.
      You will get a file named “main_menu.sarc”.
      Just rename it to “main_menu.blz” and put it in your dropzone folder – you are finished

Sorry for my (very) bad english, its really hard for me to write so much in english because i am german :)

voxbox13voxbox13
      Participant

Thank you ShadowMaker!
      This is very good. Well written and easy to follow.

BTW – Your English is good. I only really noticed one typo that you might want to go in and fix.
      Not sure what you meant here: “abd sace it with gibbets archive viewer”
      Maybe you wanted this?: “and open it with gibbeds archive viewer”

“An excellent tutorial”

No seriously, very nice. You’re moving into CoconutFred level tut quality here. :S

Actually better, because it’s shorter and to the point.

My tutorials are like somebody binged on Immanuel Kant and puked dissertation papers all over the internet.

On a side note:

This may facilitate larger scale BLZ modding! Hooray!

EDIT: Nope, similar approach doesn’t work on some other BLZs. Bummer.

First thanks to you all :)

This trick will just work with the “main_ menu.blz” , maybe with the “pda.blz” too. Thats because of the “fe_*.dds” files. The “fe” means “frontend”, and you can only edit them using the “frontend.blz”

The most important thing is to find a way to edit the “*.agui” files which are always in a .blz file

CoconutFred wrote:
      EDIT: Nope, similar approach doesn’t work on some other BLZs. Bummer.

Which .blz files do you mean ?

Ok, i updated this threat with some information about the pda.blz :)

Oh, I was going to post this before but forgot:

AGUI files are Anark studio GUI files. Anark studio is unfortunately a discontinued software and Anark doesn’t seem to be offering it anywhere anymore, nor can a download of the thing really be found anywhere.

CoconutFred wrote:

AGUI files are Anark studio GUI files. Anark studio is unfortunately a discontinued software and Anark doesn’t seem to be offering it anywhere anymore, nor can a download of the thing really be found anywhere.

Bob joe
      ShadowIMaker wrote:
      CoconutFred wrote:

there must be a way

megaeverything wrote:
      ShadowIMaker wrote:
      CoconutFred wrote:

there must be a way

Oh no, this doesn’t have much to do with Xbox/PS3 button icons, we were just talking about general GUI editing.

Bob joe
      CoconutFred wrote:
      megaeverything wrote:
      ShadowIMaker wrote:
      CoconutFred wrote:

there must be a way

Oh no, this doesn’t have much to do with Xbox/PS3 button icons, we were just talking about general GUI editing.

but thats part of gui isnt it? just saying it would be nice to be able to mod EVERYTHING in the game

gabetoloco2
      Participant

i know i`m here a little late but i want to ask if someone made a crosshair like the jc3 one

gabetoloco2
      Participant
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.