Current Webchat Suggestions

Just Cause 2 Mods Forums Site Errors and Suggestions Current Webchat Suggestions

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      Hoto

So like the Webchat currently is, it do not work really good.

The Users join, saw that there are no or too less Users online and quit. Good to see on the join/quit messages in the chat.

So i think there are too things to make it more like a shoutbox:

– disable the Userlist
      – disable the join/part/quit Messages

Other than a real chat you can read what was written before joining the channel, so this changes can work good, because so nobody knows who is really online, can write something and when he quit he dont know if somebody where online who have answer him, so the user comes back shortly to look for a answer. At the moment there is no much need to show repeatedly in the chat when i know there is no one or to less on. I hope it is clear what i mean.

virginia

Balmung wrote:

Quote:
      So like the Webchat currently is, it do not work really good.

The Users join, saw that there are no or too less Users online and quit. Good to see on the join/quit messages in the chat.

So i think there are too things to make it more like a shoutbox:

– disable the Userlist
      – disable the join/part/quit Messages

Other than a real chat you can read what was written before joining the channel, so this changes can work good, because so nobody knows who is really online, can write something and when he quit he dont know if somebody where online who have answer him, so the user comes back shortly to look for a answer. At the moment there is no much need to show repeatedly in the chat when i know there is no one or to less on. I hope it is clear what i mean.

yeah i think these are some good suggestions

ZeninZenin
      Keymaster

the userlist doesnt mean anything or even do anything. i wont remove it as it can be hidden, by clicking the hide userlist icon
      also the userlist allowes private chat to be started between users.

i could remove the join quit messages but i think thats useful.. what do other people think?

Hoto

Type /help into the messagebox and you see, that you can all do with commands without the Userlist. That is no argument. Like i said: the Userlist let Users show how much people are there and that is not profitable for the chat.

At the Shoutbox we also dont know how many people are here at the moment an read along. When i switched shortly to the Mod Site and after 2 mins back at the Chat other read that i quit the chat and join it after 2 mins. Say i see, that at the moment is no one here, i left it directly and show back after 5 mins. Another Quit/Join Message stand in the Chat. There are more join/parts than any discussions. No other with the Userlist, where i appear and disappear.

We have no problems in the shoutbox, than we have there no join/part and userlist and it works. Why not also in the chat?

At the moment we have shoutbox and chat and that are definitely no solution.

ZeninZenin
      Keymaster

ok balmung i have removed the messages that you see, now only chat will be displayed. but i wana keep the userlist as its good to know whos online and whos not.

I think you guys want to use it for the wrong purpose, u want it to replace the forum.

the point of a chat room is LIVE chat. it must remain as a real chat room and not a place to leave messages.

the point of a FORUM is not live chat, and it IS a place to leave your messages so anyone can check at any time and reply. this is how the shoutbox is being used and it hurts the forum.

Hoto

No, we dont want use it as forum, we want to use it as chat, for short questions and discusses. Often a forum is not good for such discussions, because it need to much time for only a little specific question to get a answer when i have the right person in the shoutbox.

Ok, when it is so easy: can you explain us why the shoutbox work and we discuss there but the chatroom self is not really used often?

virginia

Balmung wrote:

Quote:
      No, we dont want use it as forum, we want to use it as chat, for short questions and discusses. Often a forum is not good for such discussions, because it need to much time for only a little specific question to get a answer when i have the right person in the shoutbox.

Ok, when it is so easy: can you explain us why the shoutbox work and we discuss there but the chatroom self is not really used often?

the chatroom doesn’t get used as much because people decide they don’t wanna just sit in there alone i think. it’s a mental thing.

also, because the chat is separate from the forums, i think people just don’t wanna open a second tab or window or whatever just to keep an eye on the forums page as well as chat.

ZeninZenin
      Keymaster

yeh i know, people dont like waiting in the chatroom :( sometime you can get lucky and see people there i know its not as handy as the shoutbox but its there if people need it.

but i think it had to be done, the shoutbox was overshadowing the forum.
      think about how many forums you know with a shoutbox, theres not many.

the forum has so so so many views each topic has, but a low amount of posts compared to it.

virginia

Zenin wrote:

Quote:
      yeh i know, people dont like waiting in the chatroom :( sometime you can get lucky and see people there i know its not as handy as the shoutbox but its there if people need it.

but i think it had to be done, the shoutbox was overshadowing the forum.
      think about how many forums you know with a shoutbox, theres not many.

the forum has so so so many views each topic has, but a low amount of posts compared to it.

yeah, i agree

Hoto

mrvirginia wrote:

Quote:
      Balmung wrote:

Quote:

the chatroom doesn’t get used as much because people decide they don’t wanna just sit in there alone i think. it’s a mental thing.

And exactly thats why i say: disable Userlist, so that no one see if there is anyone online and so write something in the chat, that can read someone who joins shortly later. Thats no big different to the shoutbox before.

Quote:
      also, because the chat is separate from the forums, i think people just don’t wanna open a second tab or window or whatever just to keep an eye on the forums page as well as chat.

Yes, thats a problem. You can give the User a Option to blend in the Chat as a separate Frame, so they can browse the site in the second frame below. That where a opportunity.

ZeninZenin
      Keymaster
      Quote:
      Balmung wrote:
      And exactly thats why i say: disable Userlist, so that no one see if there is anyone online and so write something in the chat, that can read someone who joins shortly later. Thats no big different to the shoutbox before.

guess what you just described? its called a forum 😆 forum 😆 forum 😆 forum 😆 forum 😆 forum 😆 forum 😆 forum 😆 forum 😆 forum 😆 forum 😆 forum 😆

anyways the forums are getting more active as a result, so far its working, we’ll see how it goes balmung there may still be some changes that we can make.

Hoto

I give up, you dont really want to understand it. And… i can see who is online in the forum… you not?

At the moment users join the chat, saw a question, but the user how ask it is not there, so no answer and the user can leave the chat. And that happen while the user how asked was only for a minute in the forum and has left the chat, because he have it not on a second browser tab…

Edit2: i know i say i give up :S

ZeninZenin
      Keymaster

i understand exactly what you mean.

this is whats im trying to say that user should have never “left” the question in the chatroom in the first place, its meant to be posted in the forum, so that multiple people can answer.

balmung think of it this way, what if you all came to this site and there was no shoutbox or chatroom. what would have happened? (starting to wish i did this)

the offical jc2 site doesnt have any such thing, neither does facepunch.

Pridit
      Participant

May I suggest removing the whole chat feature all together?

I’m sure PM is sufficent enough to contact someone in specific, if the user has a question/problem then he/she can simply post a topic regarding his/her question/problem in the appropriate section and I’m sure someone will help them. There isn’t really any need for a chat room.

ZeninZenin
      Keymaster

yeh this is a option too pridit. i was thinking of changing the link to redirect to the steam chat, where we already have our group setup, then we can have the popup window..and ppl in game can join too.. although this could also be just as bad as the shoutbox.

forums are starting to pickup now.. ill watch and see how things go

Hoto

Zenin wrote:

Quote:
      balmung think of it this way, what if you all came to this site and there was no shoutbox or chatroom. what would have happened? (starting to wish i did this)

I dont know if i had started to make a mod when there was no shoutbox. I am not a User who like it to wait for every single answer of questions i had. At a forum often enough you ask for something and not really get directly that answer you need, because other Users comes and mean they can post here her “similar” questions too or no one answer. It motivate more when you can directly talk with other users.

A forum is a forum, best for longer discusses, but it is no chat, where you can easily ask things, which are not worthy to be posted to the forum. A forum is for questions, where discusses and/or different opinions makes sense or for need of a longer question/answer. Not really for two posting threads, the short question in the first and the short answer in the second posting. Thats are threads, that inundate forums and make it more difficult to find something and are better asked in a chat. Not all questions needs different opinions and/or discusses or long questions/answers.

And after all: it makes more fun, when you can directly discuss with others and like i said it motivates more. A forum is much lesser personally.

Pridit
      Participant

Then why are you on a forum?

Go to a chat website or something of the sort, you’re clearly not explaining any kind of forum. You’re explaining a chat box which this website does not need. If you don’t want to wait for an answer that’s tough.

Hoto

What a website needs or not is not your decision, you are only one normal user, like me too. You dont need to use the chat, when you dont want. But only while you see no sense in a chat on this site it is no reason to remove it.

When i hate something, than users that would remove some feature that other use, while they dont use it / like it.

I only want make suggestions to the actual webchat, not starting a discusses about yes/no about a webchat. I like it and i use it and not only the chat, also the forum too.

Pridit
      Participant

I’m not stating it from personal opinion, I’m stating it from fact.

Take for example the GTA modding community, they don’t have a chat box and they’re fine.

Hoto

Just Cause 2 is not GTA. And other websites are other websites. When everbody think like you all websites looks like the same. Some websites make it so, other so and that is good so.

Pridit
      Participant

I’m not saying Just Cause 2 is GTA, I’m saying that GTA also has a modding community just like Just Cause 2 and they do not have a chatbox because clearly they don’t need one otherwise they would have.

ZeninZenin
      Keymaster

Once we get more people posting nobody will have to wait too long for a reply. lets just work towards getting more activity now, i like the way things are now, the chat is there if u need it, if you dont then dont use it.

Hoto

Pridit wrote:

Quote:
      I’m not saying Just Cause 2 is GTA, I’m saying that GTA also has a modding community just like Just Cause 2 and they do not have a chatbox because clearly they don’t need one otherwise they would have.

GTA ist older and have more Fans who mod the game or want mods, that alone is a different. Smaller Communities needed better/different ways for good communications. Thats why I say, that JC2 is not GTA. With a chat a smaller community can better moving closer together, because the users have more direct contact with each other and so a better cohesion and they can better work together productively in different ways.

Pridit
      Participant

I see what you’re saying and we could debate about this for the next few weeks but I’m not going to reply after this message because it’s becoming spam and I’m quite frankly getting tired of it as we both have different views and opinions so the argument is void. Let’s just leave it as it is and let Zenin decide what’s best for the community.

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.