Adding new vehicles to the game

Just Cause 2 Mods Forums Tutorials Adding new vehicles to the game

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Jusupov

Meaning not replacing any of the existing ones!

Tools needed: gibbeds tools, hex editor (hopefully you don’t need this for long and gibbed can update his tools). You can use notepad++ with the hexeditor plugin.

(note: for this tutorial I am modifying something that has already been uploaded to the modsite and not creating anything new). Also is turned around in the code parts.

1. Make an unique name! Turn that lave.v016_military_apc.eez to lave.v456_military_apc.eez
      I do not know how to edit the length of the file so make sure that whatever name you use it’s the exact same length as the old one.

2. Rename lave.v016_military_apc.ee.epe and v016_military_apc.mvdoll to their new varieties.
      Renaming the .mvdoll file is the most important step in this, since any modifications you made to that will carry on to everything that uses it.

3. bin2xml that .epe file so you can see what you need to do (for now you can’t xml2bin that back, but I hope this will change in the future) and open both the .epe (with a hexeditor) and the resulting .xml (in notepad)

4 In the .xml file find the following things:

Code:
      vehicles/01_landvehicles/v016_military_apc.mvdoll
      V016_Military_APC
      V016_Military_APC

30269236 is 1 CD DF 34 in hex and 220623025 is D2670B1, and when we switch around the bytes (so it’s like they are in the .epe file) they become 34 DF CD 01 and B1 70 26 0D

5. Now turn to the hexeditor side with the .epe and find that value. Replace one thing from it, so 34 DF CD 01 becomes 34 24 CD 01 (this is an example, make sure you choose something unique). Repeat this for B1 70 26 0D turning it to a unique number.
      Then we have to also modify those v016_etc to something else (I’m not 100% sure you need to modify the lower two, but do it anyway) and not modify the other v016 values that are also in the file. For this part I recommend switching from a hex editor to notepad. I do not know how to edit the length of the file so make sure that whatever name you use it’s the exact same length as the old one.
      Find and replace the filename that ends with .mvdoll and the two V016_Military_APC that have nothing before or after them that you can make sense out of.
      Do not edit LAVE.V016_Military_APC({CFD1D334-6DAA-4E8D-958B-4D87D9CFFFD1})} nor vehicles/01_landvehicles/v016_military_apc.sst to have any other values.

6. Save your edits to the .epe file and put everything to the directory and rename that to have the same name and pack that baby to a .sarc, then move it to dropzone and rename it lave.v456_military_apc.eez if you hadn’t done it already.

7. This is the bad part. There is a file that sets what vehicles are loaded in to the game, and there can be only one version of this file! This file is settings/vehicletypes.bin So bin2xml that and open the vehicletypes.xml
      In the bottom of the file add yours

Code:
      <-MAKE THIS A UNIQUE VALUE 712
      lave.v456_military_apc.ee <- NAME OF YOUR NEW VEHICLE GOES HERE

This sadly means that if you want to add multiple vehicles you will have to combine parts from the different vehicletypes.bin files to one file. A fellow modder has said that he is going to create a tool that combines various .bin files so you don’t have to.

8. Adding a text file that contains the name and possible description for your vehicle.
      Create a file called v456.csv and add

Code:
      #D#V456_Military_APC#D#,#D#V456_Military_APC#D#,#D#V456_Military_APC#D#,#D#V456_Military_APC#D#,#D# #D#,#D# #D#,#D# #D#,#D# #D#,#D# #D#

to it. Add the name for all the regions, I shortened the list for this tutorial but you can copy the base for yours from ms15txt.csv or one of the dlcs.

After that we need to add the new text file to the load list. Open settings/locator.bin by using first bin2xml and then notepad++. Find the part where it says text_files and make it look like this

Code:
      Text/ms15text.csv
      v456.csv

Once again it requires an unique ID. There can only be one of these files so if you add in more the rest will be overwritten. Hopefully that .bin combo tool will help with this too.

(note: In part 4 we changed those two values in the .epe file. If you name the other a bit differently you can set a description for your vehicle as well.)

9. Add your vehicle to blackmarket and drive away. If you are testing stuff I recommend adding both your new and the one unedited file that you started from so you can verify that everything is working properly

Notes: I believe one of the properties we edited in the .epe file is what the game checks from the localization text dump and I do not yet know how to add new records to that without including the whole file)

Here is the resulting file from all of the edits. (just the .epe file that we modified, up to modders to update their .eez files)

Andrew

Great tutorial man ;)

Jusupov

Added info on how to add custom text for the vehicle.

voxbox13voxbox13
      Participant

Jusupov wrote:

Quote:

. bin2xml that .epe file so you can see what you need to do (for now you can’t xml2bin that back, but I hope this will change in the future) …

This is from Jusupov’s initial post from a few months ago.

As I understand it, the most recent version of Gibbed’s Tool Set (1.48)
      WILL NOW allow changing the xml file back to .epe

http://www.justcause2mods.com/mods/other/Modding-Tools/GIBBED-TOOLS-r148/

I think this development could make this mod technique much easier.

Now that gibbed supports reverting xml back to epe, I take it that a hex editor is no longer necessary? I’m going to try the epe section of the tutorial and I will report back with new information.

Jusupov

Yup the hex editing is no longer necessary

voxbox13voxbox13
      Participant

Bump – Jusupov has done some fascinating work.

Forgot to update but I followed this tut a few months ago and I made a bunch of civilian versions of Agency vehicles, and other editions for cars. For some vehicles (ie. ones that were converted from military to civilian), the horn is bugged (since military vehicles by default use sirens, where you press q to toggle siren, while civilian vehicles you have to hold down q) but that’s the only issue that I’ve had so far.

voxbox13voxbox13
      Participant

CoconutFred wrote:

Quote:
      Forgot to update but I followed this tut a few months ago and I made a bunch of civilian versions of Agency vehicles, and other editions for cars. For some vehicles (ie. ones that were converted from military to civilian), the horn is bugged (since military vehicles by default use sirens, where you press q to toggle siren, while civilian vehicles you have to hold down q) but that’s the only issue that I’ve had so far.

Cool – I wonder if it would be interesting to anyone to have you upload a few of the vehicles.

… So less brilliant people (like me) could see the changes in action. ;)

Glad to see other people using this tutorial. If I ever get a chance I will upload my new vehicle mods and all the other work that I’ve done in JC2 over the past 3 months.

I feel like its a silly question lol, but when did you ladies start dress shopping?

Just to ensure you have enough time to allow for alterations and I guess to allow time to order things in…other things I havent considered, etc haha. Whats a good time frame to work with?
      Ive been engaged since late Aug 2012, and the wedding will be Feb 2014, at first I thought id wait until about mid 2013 before I started thinking about it. But time flew by and im getting excited!

I have in my mind the type of dress shape and silhouette. I have began to search the style online and I have a magazine clipping of what im looking for too.

So do you think its still a litte early for me to organise the first dress shopping expedition? Or wait a few more months?

Also, has anyone had experiences with buying wedding dresses in dudool.com? I fell in love with one of their dresses lol. I love such style.

Thanks, any advice, stories or discussion on your first dress shopping expeditions welcomed!

Cheeky

I feel like its a silly question lol, but when did you ladies start dress shopping?

Just to ensure you have enough time to allow for alterations and I guess to allow time to order things in…other things I havent considered, etc haha. Whats a good time frame to work with?
      Ive been engaged since late Aug 2012, and the wedding will be Feb 2014, at first I t

Ivan

This work with guns?

Unfortunately no. Guns do not use .epe files and instead have all their data piled up in weapons.bin.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.